VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO or ATTORNEY?

Rate this question

VIETNAMVETFAM

Question

I suggest you send a copy of that along with the DD 149 and also check the list of Bronze Star recipients above....all names might not be on the list, but if his name is on it, that too should be copied and sent along with the DD 149 form and also send copies to the VA ,when you re open his claim....for PTSD.

I completely agree with Brokensoldier.

I was a VA vet center volunteer in the early 1980s when the VA began to recognize that PTSD was Real. Many Vietnam vets were misdiagnosed prior to 1983, with other MH issues, that VA would not service connect , and they actually had full blown PTSD from the war.Some even got bad paper discharges, that could be upgraded years after the fact, because they had manifestations of PTSD in service.

The Vet Center vets voted me in to be in  their weekly PTSD Combat Rap group.

My life changed Forever and I married one of those combat vets.My daughter became a Vietnamese linquist.((USAF INTEL) and went to Vietnam twice ( TS Classified).His service is honored EVERY DAY by me.

You said:

The VSO said not to go the PTSD route, because he would have to talk about the service.  He doesn't do that.  He has been heavily medicated since 1980. "

I Have known  many combat vets who were very reluctant-at first- to talk about their service.

Some never did ,even to the VA.

My own husband, USMC Vietnam, showed me a year long stressor list he had to do before he was put into  the PTSD inhouse program.He already had a 30% SC rating due to one main stressor, that had been verified ,and he told me, (this list took him a week to prepare- he was so stressed by doing the list, dates, deaths etc, ) that there were things he could never tell me or the VA about. I heard that from many Vietnam vets. 1965-66 Vietnam.Hell on Earth. He is why I am here.

But my long point is that the Bronze Star Certificate/award above is Wonderful but it does not reveal a "stressor",which he will need to talk about , so that VA can verify it.

Most Vietnam combat vets had multiple  stressors but they need to tell VA of the one (s) most able to be proven.

I took a friend of mine to the Vet Center once. We spoke to the team leader. I knew what his DD 214 said and what he had been through.

He would not talk at all about Vietnam ,except to me, and refused to come to the Rap group.

PTSD was ruining his life and his stressors could have been verified, plus he had a GSW from Vietnam but it was not on his DD 214.  There was nothing more I could do for him.

Your family member will need to tell VA of a stressor, in Vietnam, that can be verified...unless----

does he have the CIB or CAR on his DD 214?

He says he doesn't remember since all the medication.  So he doesn't say much..  Maybe you can help me with something.  His VSO kept saying that he said over and over again in his files many things that happened to him in service.  He said he saw this in the files that he had privy to since he was his VSO.  I don't know where to find these.  His VSO was shocked that he was denied.  He said he repeated these incidents over and over again.  I don't know what information he was reading.  Can you tell me what files would be my first step?  And how to get them?  Maybe there is info out there.  All I have are his hospital records. Except for one hospital that has closed.  And his military records. Thanks so much...

You need to acquire a VSO who can also see those records and where they are, and the VSO can help obtain them-

" All I have are his hospital records. Except for one hospital that has closed."

You need to get copies of his VA medical records, in addition to any hospital records, maybe that is what the VSO was looking at 

"And his military records."You need his complete SMRs and his 201 Personnel file. 

Is he still actively getting VA medical care?

Google NARA to get whatever military records he does not have.

Use the DD 149 - in my husband's case the DD215 brought him more decorations, awards, than he thought he had.

This is the form he can use for his VA medical records.

.https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-5345a-fill.pdf

This is what he needs for his C file copy:

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA3288.pdf

Also he needs to advise VA of any private medical records or obtain them himself by requesting them from the private doctors.

If no one holds his POA , he will have to sign these forms.

He is probably misdiagnosed with schizophrenia from doctors who do not understand PTSD-therefore he is probably on the wrong meds, and the meds are making him forgetful. I really don't know and I hope you try to get a VSO ASAP because they can see things on their  PC contact to VA that we can',t see .

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

WELL IF HIS MEDALS IS NOT ON HIS DD-214  ESPECIALLY HIS CIB AND BRONZE STAR MEDAL.

I had some medals missing on my DD214 Also..and what I had to do to  prove my stressors was  give the date and time and the close location of the operation it was.....so I named my unit , my unit commander and my 1st Sgt  and my NCO in charge...and the date and approx time of the location...they checked it out and found all to be true.

this was back in 1969/70-71

Like if he can remember if it happen close to a holiday  for me it was around Christmas Time , but it can be like Easter, Valentines day, Wedding Anniversary ect,,ect,,, he also can get Buddy statements if he kept in contact with some of his buddies.

so he can do that  if he can remember where he seen action combat name the location and dates close as he can I think they will give a 10 day  limit either way on the dates

And follow Ms Berta Advise!

Edited by Buck52