VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi

Rate this question

Jake40

Question

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

If you meet the criteria for SSDI ( not every veteran does), and apply for SSDI, the SSA will obtain your VA medical records and any private medical records you tell them of, unless that has significantly changed.Someone will chime in if this has changed.

Also if you have had more than one period of service or served in two different branches of the Mil, tell them that too.

My husband applied in person at a SSA office in 1992. He only had his 2 DD214s, and DD 215 with him. (USMC and USN)

That is- he didn't have his Navy DD214 the day he applied as he didnt think he needed it. While talking to the SSA woman, she mentioned her son was in the Navy and he said he had been Navy too and then she told us to send them the DD214 from the Navy as as it could impact the amount of SSDI he would get. Her point was that all Honorable military service is added to the employment wages he paid SSA from. 

SSA obtained all of his VA medical records for him, all from in 3 VAMCs here in NY .....even records from a NJ VAMC, where he had been diagnosed with PTSD in 1983. (records VA had told me Never existed)

Deedub and I posted at the same time.

The SSA web site link I gave has a video and other information on what happens when anyone files for SSDI.

To add, I mentioned before my husband had two separate SSDI awards....no sense repeating all that- but at one point I asked if I could see his records, at their office, which were stacked very high on a metal dolly, when they were working on his Reconsideration claim. He gave them permission to let me do that but I didnt have much time and I was overwhelmed at the stack.I saw a few things I was interested in making sure they had, , and of course the "Never existing" Newark NJ records -from 1983-were a big part of that stack.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:18 AM, pacmanx1 said:

Go on SSA and file today.  In rare cases SSA will grant your SSDI but in normal cases SSA will deny your claim.  Once your claim is denied, get an attorney.  It is a hidden secret that a lot of claimants have to hire a lawyer to get their SSA benefits. 

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I got ssdi with only a phone call from ssa asking me some questions about my request for ssdi.