Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal W/non Sc Ssd

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

old romad`s appeal results makes me worry more about my appeal. I am getting SSD for a non SC disability and have asked for IU in my SC Ptsd appeal. Even though 2 IMO`s state I`m unemployable, I was already unemployable on SSD. Can this have an effect?

Cavman

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

No use worrying till you see what happens. If I were you I would go light on talking about SSD.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Pete:

Sorry I posted this in the wrong catagory. I was reading something here and forgot to leave. (Chemo Brain). I have never mentioned SSD with the VA. They haven`t asked either.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are receiving SSDI, for something other than the SC disease, the VA will generally try to blame your unemployability on your other diseases or injuries. So it would be best not to bring up the SSDI issue. The VA will make it a hard to overcome issue and probably drag it out years on appeal. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Phil is right. That is what the VA will do if you have reasons for being disabled other than your service connected disability. They tried it on me even though I was 70% SC. Don't bring up medical problems that are not SC.

question about Non service Connected SSD

What if you were granted Social Security Disabilty for 3 seperated conditions...and one of the conditions is the same conditon you have been granted S/C for...would it not be in your best interest to bring your SSD into play for applying for Unemployabiltiy S/C

thanks

MT

• HadIt.com Elder
question about Non service Connected SSD

What if you were granted Social Security Disabilty for 3 seperated conditions...and one of the conditions is the same conditon you have been granted S/C for...would it not be in your best interest to bring your SSD into play for applying for Unemployabiltiy S/C

thanks

MT

It could be. The problems lies in that the VA "will always" blame unemployability on the non-service connected conditions. They are supposed to separate the two by deciding what percentage of the unemployability issue is based on the NSC issue and what is based on the SC issue. Alway bear in mind the VA is not our friend. They don't want to pay and use a variety of tactics to discourage claimants pursuing a claim. For example, the NPRC used to search for hours to find veterans info. Then a while back they cut the search time alloted, to 12 minutes, on each request, and if the info couldn't be found in 12 minutes a letter was sent to the requester that they could not find any info related to what the veteran was looking for. The vet then assumes there is nothing there when in reality the info could be there but couldn't be found in 12 minutes. It's up to you if you want to submit the SSDI info. Most advocates will tell you to submit only favorable or probative evidence to your claim. Why muddy the issue? jmo

pr