Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If a Veteran was Injured while in the military /war zone...(Vietnam)

AND he never sought medical care but some 40/45 years later  that old injury has caused bad arthritis in both knees, Dr's have mention what the veteran had mention about the old injury that yes it could be related to his now diagnose VA Arthritis 

However  since a Veteran needs medical records as evidence  and none are there because he never received medical attention when his injury occurred...just as thousands of veterans did back in Vietnam  they got injured but never went for medical treatment...we all just limp around for a few weeks until the injury got better and we just moved on.

o buddy statements are good    but been to long and most of the buddys have either passed away or can't find any of them that knew about the injury.

but to file a claim for this and  va Dr mention that it could possibly be the cause of the veterans aurthritis in his knees...this apparently is not good enough for the claim  to claim as evidence.

if the VA says no record of the injury then the claim is denied.

That just don't seem fair to me.

13 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I understand what you guys are saying here

this was me were talking about here.

What happen I was on the bumper of a Duce& Half Military Truck  this truck was hot meaning it just came in and was loading personal back up to go back out, ok I was up on the bumper raised the hood and reach over to take the radiator cap off  and about the time I took the cap off I looked over into the radiator  to check the fluid level and hot scaleding fluids came up out of the raditor hitting my head  before ai could get out of the way   I then feel off the truck bumper on to hard rock on both my knees  my legs were bent back wards  all my weight was on my knees  this agonizing pain...so I went to a buddy medic that was in my unit and he gave me some pain meds to take but this was never logged down  he had some in his pocket and he just took some out for me to use to help with the pain  my knees were black blue purple pink for a few weeks  nothing obviously was broken so I just sucked it up and went on  limp around  for a few weeks...of course my co ask me what happen  but since I did not get medical attention the injury was not that bad......but my story is really not about me  if I could get it service connected I already would have did that.

but threes other veterans out there that may read these post and hopefully they can get some insight as to what to do and what to present as their evidence  such as what you guys have mention here.

Thanks

Buck

No fitness counseling, profile, scathing statement from a squad leader about limited duty, didnt show up for a formation or three, LOD, checkbox on exit physical for knees, nothing (did they do LODs in Vietnam Era?) ?  That sucks, and Im sorry. Im not sure what else there might be to dig for on that one. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• HadIt.com Elder

I need to say I had a Temp MOS but that was not changed on my DD 214 WHICH WAS 63B&C Wheel vehicle&track mechanic, but was change when I got to my unit after 2 months  to recovery of disabled military vehicles in hostile enemy territory.

i HAD TO GO OUTSIDE THE UNIT AND HOOK UP TO THE DISABLED MILITARY VEHICLES AND BRING THEM BACK TO MY UNIT  FROM APC;S TO JEEPS AND DEUCE & HALFS   TO INCLUDE SEEING A LOT OF BLOOD SHED  IT WAS NOT A PRETTY SIGHT TO SEE.  ...TO SAY THE LEAST.

I Sent in my evidence to the BOARD OF MILITARY RECORD CORRECTIONS  IN VIRGINA BUT DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH EVIDENCE FOR THEM TO USE MY TEMP MOS AND HAVE IT CHANGE TO THE CORRECT TEMP MOS ON MY DD 214

SO I JUST SAID WELL FORGET IT THEN.  TO MANY BAD MEMORY'S FOR ME TO GO BACK THAT FAR AND START REMEMBERING.

..I HAD Documentation like in country travel orders and TDY orders AND OLD MAPS LOCATIONS AS OF THE DIRECTION I HAD TO TAKE WHEN GOING OUT.AS DRAWN OUT NAVIGATED  BY MY C.O.

SOME OF THAT WAS DOCUMENTED  BUT THE BOARD OF MILITARY CORRECTIONS SAID IT WAS NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE THE CHANGE TO MY TEMP MOS ON MY DD 214..I KEPT AUGURING WITH THEM OVER THIS FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS  AND FINALLY GAVE UP.

MY C.O. NEVER CHANGE MY MOS OVER TO MY TEMP MOS ON PAPER WORK THIS WAS JUST VERBAL INSTRUCTIONS AND THIS HAS CAUSED ME PROBLEMS EVER SINCE I  LEFT  NAM.

AS TO ALL OF US NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT BACK THEN.  THINGS JUST WENT UNSAID AS LONG AS YOU KNEW WHAT TO DO  AND YOU DID IT AND HOW TO HANDEL YOURSELF AND ABLE TO USE A WEAPON.  FOR ME I CARRIED MY M--16  and a 45 Pistola and a RPG  WITH EXTRA AMMO.

i NEED TO SAY NONE OF THIS IS IN MY C-FILE?I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY..I WAS THERE AND MY DD 214 REFLECTS MY UNIT MY SERVICE IN THE RVN ,MY MEDALS RIBBONS  AWARDS  BUT THAT'S IT AND A PLAQ GIVEN TO ME BY MY SPECIAL OPERATIONS BRANCH UNIT I WAS IN. FOR A JOB WELL DONE

Board of military corrections wouldn't automatically be in your C file unless we needed to do a character of discharge determination (like, if you are Gen under Hon, vs Dishonorable, vs General, etc)  to determine eligibility for benefits. If you already had a DD214 that established active qualifying service entered in at the beginning, we don't need to check that again UNLESS it becomes part of a records request to verify statements on a 21-0781 for stressors if you had filed for PTSD or something. Then if there isn't enough to establish a stressor we do a records request and go look for every service record, etc, we can find, in order to establish time in place, orders, etc.

In the case of a COD determination I have seen court martial docket notes in a c-file for determining character of discharge. A dishonorable is pretty much out, but a general, or under other than honorable conditions are subject to review and can come out in your favor depending on the circumstances. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I did need to use the location and dates for my PTSD CLAIM

and close to the operation I was in   and the name of the operation MY UNIT the locations and approx dates  I remember these dates because it was Christmas Day  so I sent in my lay statement as the best I could remember, the VA Checked this out and what I had mention in my lay statement was found to be truthfull  as for as my stressors go.

I know the board of military records corrections is not in my c-file but my RVN SERVICE should have some records in it but it don't . (nothing about Vietnam what so ever.).and I have read my entire C-file over and over  it was updated in 2014 and converted over to a C.D. disk from tons stacks of paper in my old c-file.boxes.

I went to school under the GI Bill BACK IN THE EARLY 70'S and a lot of that paper work is in my C-FILE..BUT HARDLY NOTHING FROM MY MILITARY SERVICE.

BUT THIS CD  SURE MAKES IT A LOT EASIER TO READ UP ON &FIND OLD RECORDS AND NOTES.

Edited by Buck52

I know, right? I love digital records! Easy for me to search, too, since I can CTRL-F though some of it with adobe to find things. I have a list of relevant "key" words that is ever growing that I search for to find things. We don't use paper files anymore (well, the raters sometimes do, I don't), but OCR and Adobe isn't perfect so there is still a lot of Eyeballing. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I use the acrobat pro reader program  which is now outdated  but it works on on my CD -C-FILE.just fine

And Word Finder makes it a lot easier to find things you need in a hurry.