VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Higher-Level Review Timeline

Rate this question

FlyboyLeRoy

Question

Hi, 130 days for Higher-level review currently, but my VSO had the HLR informal conference talk with the higher level reviewer on 7/24/20. Anyone have knowledge of the typical timeline after the HLR is conducted? VSO said " We did have a two way conversation; but you know the deal; she sounded very positive about service connection but could not come right out and say it!", so i'm hoping the outcome is as good as he made it sound! Thanks. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I assume it would depend on the situation.

In the past, my DRO (people who work the HLRs) conference happened towards the end. No additional C&P exams were needed in my case. The DRO said they would need to double-check everything and a couple of weeks later my decision arrived in the mail.

If your HLR conference required an additional examination, there's no telling how long that may take to get scheduled (especially if an in-person physical exam is needed).

Of course, they can't tell you a decision over the phone. My DRO did tell me that the RVSR who worked my claim made a bunch of stupid mistakes. It wasn't definitive, but was promising. Once the decision letter is completed and uploaded into the VA system, your VSO can get it and provide it to you. I had a claim get completed and uploaded yesterday. My VSO provided it to me on the same day.

I wish I could just get my informal conference completed.  There are no exams needed for my HLR.  It's just to correct the effective date.  I have my stack of evidence ready!!!

Priorities change all of the time at VBA.  With covid-19 throwing a wrench in everything, who knows what the priority is now?

17 hours ago, Vync said:

I assume it would depend on the situation.

In the past, my DRO (people who work the HLRs) conference happened towards the end. No additional C&P exams were needed in my case. The DRO said they would need to double-check everything and a couple of weeks later my decision arrived in the mail.

If your HLR conference required an additional examination, there's no telling how long that may take to get scheduled (especially if an in-person physical exam is needed).

Of course, they can't tell you a decision over the phone. My DRO did tell me that the RVSR who worked my claim made a bunch of stupid mistakes. It wasn't definitive, but was promising. Once the decision letter is completed and uploaded into the VA system, your VSO can get it and provide it to you. I had a claim get completed and uploaded yesterday. My VSO provided it to me on the same day.

Thanks, nothing further is needed and the claim had all needed documentation when it was submitted; which makes this even more annoying. The rater initially said a "c&p was never needed" but then their c&p exam confirmed the diagnosis and service connected it lol. There's our VA for you lol

13 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I wish I could just get my informal conference completed.  There are no exams needed for my HLR.  It's just to correct the effective date.  I have my stack of evidence ready!!!

Priorities change all of the time at VBA.  With covid-19 throwing a wrench in everything, who knows what the priority is now?

understood, mine was just to fix someone else's mistake when there was a clear error. I got my conference at about 128 days, even with all favorable and clear stated ptsd paperwork.  Good luck.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
34 minutes ago, FlyboyLeRoy said:

understood, mine was just to fix someone else's mistake when there was a clear error. I got my conference at about 128 days, even with all favorable and clear stated ptsd paperwork.  Good luck.

Yeah, we see the VA making a lot of those clear errors

Finally had the informal conference today with a DRO for my HLR to fix the effective dates on some recently granted claims.  I was initially upset when she called because I was sitting in the parking lot of my doctor's office and had about 15 minutes before I needed to go in.  I had all my evidence at home in a stack waiting for the call.  She asked if I had time to talk and I told her I was about to go into the doctor's office but I had maybe 10 minutes or so to talk.  She told me it would only take her a few minutes or she could call me back tomorrow if she needed to.  

She told me that she had reviewed my file and agreed with me that I had been continuously pursuing the claims for knees, back, and left ankle since my original filing date in October 2010 so she was going to change the effective dates from February 2020 to October 2010!  It took me 10 years to get these claims granted only for them to make the effective dates February 2020 which was when I filed a supplemental claim.  But until I actually see it I won't fully believe but she told me it would be finalized by tomorrow.