VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Antibodies testing

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

All,

I was positive for COVID19 about six weeks ago.  The VA had me tested at a local civilian medical facility.  This medical group then had me do a couple surveys at 1 week, and 2 weeks after all issues resolved.  Today I get a call asking if I will give blood so they can check for antibodies.  I said I would and they said that I would get the results a couple weeks after and also a check for 50 bucks for participating.  They also said that my results would be put in my medical records, (with that facility).

Do you thing it would be beneficial, or not, to have them send those records to the VA for my VA medical records? 

I know at this time, those two institutions do not share records.  And also, at this time the VA does not know I had COVID.  It's not like the VA ever asked after I requested the test from them and they sent elsewhere.

On another note, does anyone know if they just check for the COVID antibodies, or do they check for antibodies and then see what they are?  Hoping for some weird antibodies from my unexplainable 4 day stay in the hospital in Iraq.  LOL.  

Just thinking out loud,

Hamslice

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hamslice First of all, it sure sounds like you are recovering. I believe your wife was affected also, and we hope she is feeling better also. I don't see why it would be a bad thing for them to send your records to the VA. The VA does do a lot of background research for medical stuff for the gov't. I read that they have been involved with this nasty virus testing research early on also. I guess the best answer I could give is, if I were you, I'd do it.

I got my COVID antibodies blood test results back and they say I in fact had COVID and go on to state that "they" do not know at this time on whether I can get COVID again or not.  And that was basically it.

So, I did not get an answer to whether or not they check for all antibodies or just COVID, but I can surmise that they just check for COVID. 

Someday, hopefully, they will have a blood test, especially for Veterans, that will show what a person has been compromised by in their past.  Especially regionally related antibodies, i.e., your blood shows that you got bit by a dung beetle sand-fly that is only know to be in Afghanistan, which is shown to cause Parkinson's, etc., etc.  As an example.

I'm sure it's out there, but $$$$$, an we will be last,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

• HadIt.com Elder

Ham did they swab up your nose  pretty deep? or swipe the back of your throat?

checking for covid?

They checked my throat...never did a blood test...although I had labs last Sat  for my VA PCP Appointment on Wed the 17th  tomorrow at 3:00pm  so will know more then.....I go for my last covid shot on the 22nd Feb

some times the covid testing has a  negative/ 'positive  when the results of the test come back  they need to retest you

Our electric has been off now for 3 days  and got down to 0% DEGREESS LAST NIGHT.....Actually it was right at 29 % in the house...we like to froze to death last night

So this morning  we went to try to find a Motel  room  ALL WERE BOOKED UP and we looked for about 5 hours   nothing to be found   so we went on back home  and low and behold we had electric....so now we can thaw out  Lol.

• HadIt.com Elder

OIC

If I was  you I sure would think twice about sharing your medical records with a private firm  for  group testing, 

Unless you can see what they put in their report first before sharing with the VA.???

THEY ARE NO TELLING WHAT THEY MIGHT PUT IN YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS AND COULD POSSIBLY GIVE YOU A HEADACH WITH THE VA.

Has for as knowing a person can get covid more than once  is still up in the Air  They simply don't know that.... yet anyway.

a lot of testing and research is going on at present  to be decided by the CDC IF ANYTHING WORKS AGAINST THE COVID OR NOT.

THIS IS WHY WE ALL MUST WEAR MASK AND SOCIAL DISTANCEING AND WASH HANDS OFTEN. AND THATS NO GUARANTEE WE WON'T CATCH IT.

I AM THINKING ABOUT THE MIDWEST STATES LIKE New Mexico,TEXAS ,OKLAHOMA ,ARKSAS,KANSAS ,Mo, LO ON NORTH Minnesota and Iowa , 

for this new cold front that hit a couple days ago  have millions without power ...so with this DEEP FREZZE IN THE MIDWEST LIKE 10 /20 BELOW 0 it will kill out a big part of the coronavirus germs and  what knott   hopefull this winter tundra will help stop the covid spread....OR AT LEAST SLOW IT DOWN SOME.

Time will only tell.

Stay safe and warm Hamslice.