VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

20% rating for Sleep Apnea? Has anyone ever seen this?

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I was looking at Ebenefits under the 'disabilities' section, and I noticed that, with CPAP, my Sleep Apnea rating is listed as 20% rather than the expected 50. I had to appeal my sleep apnea 1 time to get SC. Has anyone ever seen this? It looks like it is numerically at 20, but they paying it at 50? Misprint? 

sleepapnea.PNG

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Ebenefits lists 20 also, and I can’t check my own records directly through VA, at least not as an employee. I’ll have to think about this a bit. 

No, I was granted 50, then they proposed to reduce for some reason, then I appealed it. Back to 50. 

This seems like a "clerical error" by VA in constructing the correspondence. The VA lists your sleep apnea at 20%. Based on the document you posted, VA states the following:

Under The First Bullet Point: "The evaluation of sleep apnea is continued as 20 percent disabling."

Under The Second Bullet Point: "We have assigned a 50 percent evaluation for your sleep apnea based on: Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine."

The ratings for sleep apnea are (0, 30, 50 and 100) according to Diagnostic Code 6847; so a 20% makes no sense here. I would look into getting this corrected as soon as possible because this could potentially create problems down the road in regards to your effective dates if you take no action.