• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Question

"If" you are disabled by VA and "do not" have the 10,000 VA life insurance, at no cost to you,  you should get it ASAP, if eligible.  Follow the links to see if you are eligible:

https://www.va.gov/life-insurance/

Also, if you have your 10,000 VA life insurance, its also like a bank account you can draw on.  As an example, if you have had the 10,000 life insurance for 10 years, you could withdraw (that is get a "loan" from your life insurance proceeds) for $1000 or more.  Yes, you would pay interest on the loan, "but" you would never have to pay it back (the amount borrowed, plus interest, would be deducted from the 10,000 upon your death. ) 

Bottom line:  If you dont have it, get it, and if you do have it, and need money, consider the consequences of borrowing on your life insurance.  It may be a relatively painless way to get money you need NOW vs, after you are gone.  Also, lets say you borrow 1000, 2000, or even 5000 from your life insurance policy, AND you "come into money" 2 years down the road, you can pay it back and restore your family's full life insurance proceeds. 

"Unless" there was a compelling reason, I would not recommend "cashing in" your life insurance policy.  (A compelling reason may be that you have cancer and not long to live, and you want to use the money). 

Instead of "cashing in" leave your options open by borrowing the max from your policy.   You have the option of paying it back or not..at your discretion, in your time. 

VA life insurance sends me a notice each year, around my birthday, as to how much I could borrow, or cash in the policy for.  The cash value of the policy grows each year.  After about 20 years, you can cash it in for the full face value, about 10,000. 

You can likely do the same with "other than VA" whole life insurance policies, too:  Borrow, or cash it in. 

In a nutshell whole life insurance is "owned" insurance, while  term insurance is "rented" insurance.  Like a car, if you own it you can sell it, or get a loan on it.  But you cant get a loan on your rented apartment. 

Edited by broncovet
  • Like 1
  • Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

"If" you are disabled by VA and "do not" have the 10,000 VA life insurance, at no cost to you,  you should get it ASAP, if eligible.  Follow the links to see if you are eligible: https://www.va.g

I see what Blah is saying. It would have to be a new grant to get to 100% to get the waiver. If it's an increase to get to 100% then the waiver doesn't apply.   In my case, I was already 100% but

You are limited when you purchase the "free" life insurance.  My idea was to maximize the value of the free insurance and to select the plan with the highest premium as it would build cash faster.  Hi

I wish we could get more than $10,000 but I appreciated the free insurance. 

Thanks to your posts about this in the past, I finally applied for it a few months ago when I got some new granted claims and qualified for it again. I could have had it years ago in 2015 when I hit 100% but I was still working at the time and I didn't read the fine print. 

I just new scars granted at 0% and the VA sent me another letter about applying for it but I already have it.  

• Admin

i think once you reach 100% you are eligible for an additional 20,000 can someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By broncovet
      For more information:  https://ptsdlawyers.com/blog/how-reservists-can-get-va-disability-compensation/?inf_contact_key=8714769f3a7c1fe23d4d1df1e3cf1bb0
    • By Ken Dillon
      Yesterday, the VA from South Dakota called me, by the way I live in Northeast, to ask me if I went to my last C@P exam with QTC which I did, He told me, he is looking for that information so they can finish my Cervical spine fusion claim, has this happen to anyone else?

Ken
    • By pctinc2001
      Hadit family,  can anyone give me some advice on how to handle this Appeal process. I recently looked on VA.GOV and noticed this. how do I prepare to win?

• By Gardorum
      What the “couldn’t fully grant your appeal...” means?. The claim in question is sleep apnea and acne. I’m confused, what can be expected from this? Thanks!
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B622YwAqOSf68H3KhqJjQ_vP-n5cILga/view?usp=drivesdk
    • By Glenndawson100
      Hi,
      I received me letter today, and I was denied. This time the error is clear. The Doctor who preformed my ACE examine said my initial diagnoses was Epilepsy then proven to be pseudo seizures. Initially at the ER (and my week long hospitalization after) and for about one month after I was diagnosed with PNES and not epilepsy. However since I kept experience both petite mal and grand mal episodes and then Epileptic medication treatment began to WORK, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. My doctor in my civilian record's back dated the diagnoses to the May when the first event occurred. I've attached my letter; you'll see that they received my Neurologists note about my treatment since may and then confirmed my Diagnoses on 04DEC2019. Pseudo seizures are only mentioned in my records between May2019-June2019. I think this VES contracted doctor saw the diagnoses labeled in may but didn't review(or care) to look at the LETTER AND NOTE DATED BY MY DOCTOR ON 05DEC2019 WITH MY CONFIMRED DIGNOSES AND THEN UPLOADED TO THE VA ON 24DEC2019. Opinions? HLR or do I wait 3 months to see my VA Neurologist, as I no longer have Tricare to see my UCHealth DR., and have him confirm the diagnoses... I'm only 5 months away from all this stuff lasting a year and getting really fed up with the VA. My first denial was also because of the phraseology used by my ER and Hospital doctors after the first event in may. Hint that's why I had my specialty neurologist who had been seeing my since June confirm my Epilepsy diagnosis... uuuhhhggg.

• Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines