Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating decision

Rate this question

DanielB

Question

I was reading through my Va rating decision packet. On page 2 it states  that “evaluation of left lower sciatic radiculopathy currently at 10% is continued.” Than on page 4 it states “evaluation of left lower sciatic radiculopathy currently at 10% is assigned a 20% evaluation based on MODERATE INCOMPLETE PARALYSIS.” So I called the VA, the gentleman I spoke to said it shows 20% in their system and disregard the 10% typo. My question is how do I know what % they used to calculate my disability rating? The difference in my calculations using 10% or 20% with the bilateral factor changes my rating.

thanks,

Danie

• HadIt.com Elder

DanielB Call back and ask Peggy what is your  combined disability rating is and what is your new disability payment. What is it, how many dependents do you have? If you don't have a previous combined rating, see what the ratings are for 10% and 20% with the correct number of dependents. For example 10% with no additional dependents is $144.14 and for 20% it is$284.93 a month.Dependents kick in at combined 30% and higher. I assume you have not gotten your back pay deposit yet; it should show up about 2 weeks after the date of your decision letter. You can back into the number that way also. If the bilateral applies it won't effect your rating if you only have 10 or 20%. If you already have an existing combined rating, it could. You should get your decision letter soon also and the info will be in there

"Based on what you posted", it sounds like your new rating is 20 percent. They indicated "your old" rating was "continued", but you were apparently granted an additional 10 percent as an increase.  Or that is the way I interpret your interpretation.  

Smart idea for keeping your decision.  If VA makes a mistake on your retro, then you can send them a copy of their decision.  

I guess you will have to wait for your retro.  

While ebenefits/va.gov is inaccurate, there is one part that is good which may answer your question:  The letters part in ebenefits.  

It usually gives a disabilty percent of combined.  What do the letter's say?  

31 minutes ago, DanielB said:

GBARMY,

Who is Peggy?

Peggy is the nickname for calling the 1-800-827-1000 number and talking to a service rep.

When I spoke with PEGGY earlier, she was no help.

Va math:

1:migraines-50%
2:Chronic Adjustment Disorder-50%
3: IBS-30%
4. Tmj-20%
5. Right lower sciatic radiculopathy-20%
6. Left lower sciatic radiculopathy-20%
7. Right knee-10%
8. Left knee-10%
9. Back-10%
10. Tinnitus-10%
11. Otitis Externa-10%