Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Special Monthly Compensation

Rate this question

automan2100

Question

Hello Everyone,

I am a 100% SC P&T since 2003. Recently I lost vision in my left eye (diabetic retinopathy) and now have a raging case of rheumatoid arthritis coupled with dupatryn's contracture. I have great difficulty in getting around and the stairs in my house are killing me. I have issues trying to grip stuff with my hands and have trouble typing. I have a zero rating for diabetic retinopathy, but have not filed on the rheumatoid arthritis nor dupatryn's contracture yet. I'm worried that if I file the new claims it could open up my previous claims for re-evaluation. I am currently 55 years old. I know I can claim rheumatoid arthritis as a secondary to diabetes mellitus and establish service connection like I did with hypothyroidism. If I leave out my retinopathy and just file on the rheumatoid arthritis and dupatryn's contracture of both hands will that help me avoid a re-evaluation on my other stuff? I mean I could wait until I reach the 20 year mark...? Any help or suggestions welcomed!!!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Automan2100 You are 100% P&T. Are you going to submit claims that will get you to SMC (s) or why are you doing it at this point. If you won't get the bump to SMC(s) based on the severity of your symptoms, IMHO I would wait the two years. You'd be basically filing for no monetary gain right?

At 100 percent, the next bump up would be, of course, SMC.  

"Housebound", (SMC S) has 2 ways to get there.  

1.  A single 100 percent plus an additional 60 percent combined, seperate and distinct from each other.  (Statuatory housebound)

2.  Housebound "in fact" if you are substantially confined to your premisis.  

The other SMC's are generally for "lack of use" of a body part, and if you need aid and attendance.  

If any of these apply, by all means apply for SMC.  

Im not sure the degree of duprens contracture, if it would be loss of use or not.  

If you dont meet any of the loss of use of any body parts, you are not housebound, and you dont need aid and attendance, then getting higher disability ratings may not matter unless, those ratings have a potential to be SMC S, that is, 100 percent plus 60 percent.  

Im with GB army, if you have little or no chance of increase compensation, then dont bother.  EXCEPTION:  

"If" you could die from a disorder, then apply, as it cound mean DIC for your spouse when you pass.  

Im not sure about that, but I doubt Dupetrens Contracture is likely to cause death.  Diabetes, however can.  

If you file for house bound every condition will be considered. Primarily the one you claim but smc's are one of the ones where your total picture is considered. Same with IU. It is what it is. If you need to claim it, claim it. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)