Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P FOR PTSD - Weird experience - Please help

Rate this question

FMFCorpsmen

Question

Hello everyone, 

I hope this finds you all well. So, quick background..

I was ADMIN Separated from the military, all while going through a MEDBOARD. I was send to a Medboard for PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Inguinal nerve damage.. years of medical history showing these injuries.  My lawyer during this process stated that the Military found me fit because I was going through a ADMIN separation. All my doctors wrote letters to the board stating that all diagnosis were current. The Board came back to state that they did not believe my doctors and stated that my actions were for secondary gains. It was obvious, as per my lawyers, that the board was not fond of the fact that I was being Administratively (after 17 years. Because of my traumas, I acted out and go into trouble. My discharge was a General (Under Honorable)) and I was found fit. 

Fast forward a few months, here I am at the C&P... 

I went to the C&P and the provider was kind and respectful. She asked me questions about my past, she even started some small talk about how we had the same ethnic background.. 

She then began to ask me how the PTSD hinders my life. She went on to say " So, from what I see.. I don't think you can work?"... I replied, I am currently sleeping in my car.. I have nowhere to live. ( this is all true).. 

She then stated that she was having a hard time finding the exact moment when I suffered the personal assault..., but went on to say that she understands that most men don't report that...

I told her that she was absolutely right.. She then stated  "I see that you have been going to medical for depression for years, around that time of your assault.. I can almost hear "assault" through all the depression encounters, even though you didn't say it.. is that correct?"...

I began to cry because that was exactly the case. She then said, I understand and I am sorry..  I went on to say, I never had a provide pick up on it.. I was always so embarrassed to tell anyone about the assault, but I kept going in hopes someone would see it and help me..

We spoke about my father.. 2) How my life was prior to the military 3) how I felt during the service 4) what I did on my off time ( I sleep in my car and at times, at a friend's couch, when I am really frightened.. in a closet.

She ended the meeting with " Do you have any questions".. I replied yes... I wanted to know how bad my depression is from a professional stand point since I don't have a provider anymore.. She stated, " I don't diagnose and I can't tell you how bad your symptoms are... but what I will tell you, and probably shouldn't... I think you case is severe..

She walked me to the lobby, said something to me in our native tongue.. and then said, " we will see you in 5 years...

- I remembered that I had forgotten to tell her about my memory problems (Ironic)... so I called and left her that exact message with my number... 15 minutes later, she called me laughing at my message, thanking me for calling since she had forgotten to ask me that.

I left very paranoid because I never seen a doctor like that.. 

I walked out feeling cared for, but then my paranoia set in.. I began question the whole encounter.. I began to ruminate on the fact that during my Medboard a doctor stated "Secondary gains," basically stating that I was trying to medically retire before getting separated  ( I was already in the Medboard process before getting in trouble).. Will they hold that against me?

All these things came to mind and then I found this group.. I am paranoid, anxious, struggling because I feel like I was being played with.. I have 3 doctors that have evaluated me and stated that I have these conditions.. I just don't know what to think.. 

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

I agree with the others, but will add my 2 cents worth.  You obviously have 2 issues:  Treatment and Benefits.  

"Dont worry about it", instead "Do something" about (your c and p exam).  This is what I recommend:

1.  Get/stay in treatment like Buck suggested. 

BENEFITS: 

2.  Get a copy of this c and p exam and read it to see if its consistent with what she told you.  If the exam report is favorable, like I will explain below, you dont have to do anything as you are unlikely to see the C and P examiner again.  If you do have another c and p exam, say for an increase, then you will likely be assigned another examiner.  

3. Get your ducks (Caluza elements) in a row.  A. Diagnosis:  Do you have a PTSD (MST) diagnosis?  Without that you are unlikely to be compensated for PTSD.  (The diagnosis needs to be made but not necessarily by your c and p doc, and VA doc can make a PTSD diagnosis.  

B.  Documentation of an in service event or aggravation.  With PTSD this is called a "stressor".  Is there something in your cfile that shows you had a "trauma event", such as a death of a friend, combat, sexual trauma, etc, etc, etc. 

C.  Nexus or doc opinion that your (PTSD) is at least as likely as not caused by a trauma (stressor) in service..  

Yes, you will need to address paranoia, and I suggest you seek treatment for that.  

Actually pacman, the poster mentions both the Med Board( I assume MEB findings inservice medical board  and then mentions , the "board "again but we don;t know what Board?

I agree with you that this does not seem to involve the BVA.

This is confusing.

FMF CORPSMAN -you said:

"I was ADMIN Separated from the military, all while going through a MEDBOARD. I was send to a Medboard for PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Inguinal nerve damage.. years of medical history showing these injuries. "

What did the MED Board diagnose you with and what did your Discharge Certificate state, regarding these disabilities?

You stated:

" I have 3 doctors that have evaluated me and stated that I have these conditions.."

However they do need a Nexus to your service-meaning a proven link to your service.

You got good advice here already and when you get s copy of the C & P ( or a decision) it will tell you more,

I think there is much missing from your post- and do not understand the part about getting into trouble after the Med Board.

But the advice above is solid ,with what we know at this point.

Your SMRs and inservice Personnel file (201) might reveal changes in your behavior caused by a personal assault.

Just to add-the VA will only consider compensation for one  proven MH disability-they can say PTSD with depression , or just PTSD ,as that is an anxiety disorder.

When you state the Board- that mean many things to us- MEB ( Medical Evaluation Board in-service or , BVA Board of Veterans Appeals, or  BCMR( Board of corrections of military records.)

Can you clarify?

1 hour ago, Berta said:

Just to add-the VA will only consider compensation for one  proven MH disability-they can say PTSD with depression , or just PTSD ,as that is an anxiety disorder.

When you state the Board- that mean many things to us- MEB ( Medical Evaluation Board in-service or , BVA Board of Veterans Appeals, or  BCMR( Board of corrections of military records.)

Can you clarify?

Hello Berta,

Thank you for informing me on how  the VA sees PTSD.

I was referring to the in-service Medboard. 

Thank you for your guidance and information. 

1 hour ago, Berta said:

Can you clarify?

Just one quick follow up..

I was diagnosed with Major Depression in 2007, PTSD 2019, Adjustment Disorder 2010, Generalized anxiety 2012, 

so, if there were issues with my PTSD claim, it wouldn’t necessarily affect my major depression, or would it? 

Thank you. 

The VA will determine what main mental health disability  you have, based on medical evidence.

However all/any of these claimed conditions need a firm in service nexus ( link).

I would think the VA will consider the MEB findings as well as the C & P exam and any other relevant medical evidence, treatment records etc, that they have.

If the doctors you mentioned who diagnosed you with PTSD, adjustment disorder, and Generalized anxiety, were private doctors who treated you after your discharge, the VA will need your permission to obtain those private records.

There is more to a medical diagnosis of an MH issue with the VA claims process.

Do you receive SSI or SSDI solely for any of the above conditions?