VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P PTSD Exam AAR

Rate this question

DSIG

Question

I just had my PTSD C&P exam/evaluation and have a few AAR points and questions.  This exam was for an increase to an existing rating.  My LHI paperwork said "Appointment length up to: 90 minutes or more  *exam length varies based on evidence that presents itself during the examination."  My appointment took less than an hour and this includes the time I spent to fill out the following questionnaires: PCL-5 with Criterion A, Roche Inventory and Beck Anxiety Inventory. This was 5 pages of questionnaire that probably took me 10-12 minutes to complete. I took pictures of what I filled out so I have a record. The actual exam where the examiner asked me questions felt like it was 40-50 minutes.  I felt the examination was rushed because as I was elaborating on something the examiner would cut me off and tell me that she had to move on to the next thing.  At the end as I was answering I question she cut me off and she told me that's all the time we have.  Also toward the end she said 'I think you need medication'.   I don't take anti-depression meds and explained to her why.  Is this something an evaluator should be recommending?  Has anyone else felt rushed?  Why didn't she use 90 minutes or more and just cut me off?  She was clearly authorized to use as much time as she needed based on what evidence was presented. She also asked me about my alcohol consumption? Is this appropriate to ask?  After I explained how and when I consume alcohol she says 'so you binge drink'.  Should I document all this to LHI?  Will LHI send me her evaluation if I request it?

Thanks

Yes, they can recommend it, but they can't prescribe it to you- its more of a suggestion if they feel that you need it. You can request your C&P notes from LHI, but since its MH it may take longer for that to be authorized than other C&Ps for non MH stuff. If she said you binge drink, well, do you? Look up the definition of binge drinking and you'll see what is considered binge drinking, medically. https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking

It is medically relevant to the C&P, so if that definition fits you than it will be documented. If you don't binge drink than you can challenge the C&P. 

My private treating psychologist also mentioned the alcohol consumption in my DBQ.  He wrote "Drinks alcohol daily / periods of sobriety / use of alcohol / stress exaserbated."

How relavant are my doctor's observations in his report and what the examiner observed to the PTSD increase? Also, it appears they are saying opposite things or is this just my perception?  I told the examiner its not binge drinking.  She asked: When did you drink last?  I said one bottle of wine last weekend.  I didn't elaborate that this was over 2 days.  And then she asked:  when is the last time you drank?  I answered 1 month ago. Hopefully based on this she documented what it actually is. I don't think its binge drinking.  Is the alcohol a bad thing for the PTSD claim? 

Edited by DSIG

It is what it is. If your doctor's statements and the examiners conflict, then usually the RVSR (rater) will request a 2nd exam to break the conflict and you an continue to submit evidence as well. You should have elaborated on the alcohol if it was over 2 days and not at one sitting. Everything is relevant in a psych exam of any kind. 

I just called the examiner and left a message. I explained I want to clarify something about the alcohol consumption.  I hope she returns my call.  

Thanks for your help and feedback.  I appreciate it.

Good luck. You can always discuss it with your private or your PCP. If your C&P was done by a VAMC examiner you can look it up on MyHealthVet under Bluebutton/Download my data. It takes longer for MH to post, though. C and Ps can take a bit, too, because they have to type up the report and generally MH reports are more involved. 

Yea, they dont give benefits to Vets who do alcohol or drugs.  So, the only one who can go to VA, for sure,  is Mother Teresa, and, unfortunately, she died and so they will have to shut down all the VAMC's nationwide, because they lost 99 percent of the Vets who consumed alcohol or drugs.  Wait..I think they provide benefits to Vets who have consumed drugs or alcohol.  The trouble is, they would have to fire 99 percent of the employees who ever did alcohol or drugs, too.