Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC)

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

Has anyone in Oregon received a decision letter about acceptance into the PCAFC caregiver program?  We filed an application on October 26, 2020 and have gone through all the assessment interviews, which concluded on December 2, 2020.  Now, we are in Hurry up and Wait mode. 

This is for the pre 1975 vets that became eligible for the program on Oct 1, 2020.

Edited by hurryupnwait

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I m sorry this question is for the pre 1975 vets that have become eligible for the program on Oct 1 2020.

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

I applied back last Oct and got my denial letter in March 2021.  I am appealing, but you have to do it through the Patient Advocates Office because it is a Clinical Appeal.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder
On 2/18/2021 at 7:50 AM, hurryupnwait said:

Has anyone in Oregon received a decision letter about acceptance into the PCAFC caregiver program?  We filed an application on October 26, 2020 and have gone through all the assessment interviews, which concluded on December 2, 2020.  Now, we are in Hurry up and Wait mode. 

This is for the pre 1975 vets that became eligible for the program on Oct 1, 2020.

Not sure I understand your question?

Are you referring to the A&A Caregivers program for 100% veterans  disabled non-veteran spouse?

They do have a Program for Veterans spouse  for A&A Now  to help 100% veterans that are to disabled them self and need help caring for their spouse.

The criteria is Veterans need to be 100% and served in  war/or conflict , Vietnam Veterans  service connected 100% would be eligible as well as the Gulf War Veterans.

I am in the mist for filing this type of claim for my spouse.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed a claim for caregiver on behalf of my wife.  I am a 100% vet.  I am claiming need help with daily chores of life including monitoring my medications and making sure I take my insulin etc.  I need help and my spouse has been helping me.  It has only been about a month or so since I filed the claim.  VA got back to me recently.  I think it will be a process.  Not a slam dunk but  it should be.  If I were a 100% vet I would ask that I have caretaker.

John 999,

Your right it should be a slam dunk, but it is far from it.  They are suppose to give you a answer in 90 days It took mine 195 days.  I was denied.  I will appeal, but just because a Veteran is 100% does not mean they will get approved.  I am 100% + Homebound.  Because of covid they could not do the "interview" in person so they had planned on doing it through a VA media platform, but the VA Interviewer could not get his end to work, so he used his smart phone.  The reason for denial was very vague, do not tell them you do anything for or by yourself, like brushing your teeth for at least 6 months.  Good Luck.

Papa

My husband more than qualifies according to the posted guidelines for the  Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Caregivers(PCAFC).  We filed an application and was denied.  Our appeal was denied.  Does anyone know how to get real help with a 2nd appeal.?  No one at the GA VA claims to know anything about PCAFC other than how to file a claim.  Not even the national caregiver.    Obviously, we don’t need help with filling a claim but that’s all they claim to know.