VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Original Induction Form

Rate this question

Marinr23

Question

Looking through my original medical induction papers. Does anyone know what this means "H-2-71" Defective Hearing. I put in a claim and was denied because they said that I had a prexisting Hearing problem before entry.My claim was denied. I was sent to Vietnam and placed with a 105 howitzer BN. Any help would be great.

Marinr23

• HadIt.com Elder

Marinr23 You need to get hold of your service medical records. You should have had an entry hearing exam and the record would show your hearing at that time. If you had any pre-existing condition, it would show up there. Now you should have had an exit hearing test when you were discharged; I know, sometimes that didn't happen. So, you compare those hearing values to the first readings; if it went down, you have hearing loss. Jn my opiniom, if your hearing on the first reading was bad and therefore showed hearing loss, then you should consider filing for aggrevation of your hearing (loss.) The VA can't have it both ways; if your hearing got worse firing off howitzers (duh), your MOS would be an automatic disability.

• H1 Profile:  The H1 profile is often assumed to indicate that a Service member has “normal” hearing, but it really means that the individual has no more than a “mild” hearing loss.  In the Army, this means that the audiometer average level for each ear is no more than 25 dB at 0.5, 1, and 2 kHz with no individual level greater than 30 dB, and not over 45 dB at 4 kHz.  Note that no restrictions are specified for frequencies above 4 kHz.  In general, Service members with H1 hearing profiles are considered to be fully qualified for all military occupations.  However, certain occupations, like Air Traffic Control, Aviation, and Special Forces, may have more stringent standards.
  • H2 Profile:  The H2 profile indicates a moderate hearing loss, which in the Army is defined as an individual who does not meet the H1 profile standards but has a pure tone average in each ear of no more than 30 dB, with no individual level greater than 35 dB at 0.5, 1, and 2 kHz, and not over 55 dB at 4 kHz.  In the Army, individuals who are monaurally deaf also qualify for H2 status, so long as they are able to meet a slightly more stringent audiogram requirement in the functional ear.  Individuals with H2 profiles are monitored more carefully and counseled on the principals of hearing conservation, but they are still generally considered to be fully qualified for most military occupations.  This may be an issue in occupations that require listeners to be able to accurately localize sounds to successfully complete their missions.
  • H3 Profile:  An H3 profile, the worst of the three profiles, is assigned when a listener’s audiometric thresholds do not meet the requirements for the H2 profile, and the speech reception threshold in the best ear is not greater than 30 dB HL when measured with or without hearing aids.  An H3 profile will also be assigned if acute or chronic ear disease is present.  These profiles vary slightly for each Service branch of the military.  A Service member with either an H3 profile or a significant threshold shift relative to a previous audiometric testing requires a diagnostic audiogram.  Soldiers with H3 hearing levels are referred to the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Administrative Retention Review (MAR2) for a determination of their qualification to perform their MOS in a deployed environment or field condition.  The audiologist provides a recommendation to the MAR2 based on the diagnostic evaluation, a 200-word Speech in Noise Test known as the SPRINT, and the number of years in service for the individual Service member.  The MAR2 will make one of three decisions: 1) retain the Soldier in their current MOS; 2) re-classify the Soldier to a more suitable MOS; or 3) refer to the Disability Evaluation System (DES) for possible removal from military Service. 

You asked what it meant, that's what it means. You could file as aggravation of a prexisting condition if you show with your audiograms in svc that it got worse, or if your MOS was presumed to have a possibility of hearing loss, too.