Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Pay on Open Claim

Rate this question

USMCScorpio

Question

Hi Hadit community,

I am looking to see if anyone has had payments for a claim that is still open, gathering evidence, and still has physicals and appointments yet to complete?

I received a VACP deposit this morning a little over 2k,

Submitted claim 11/2019 - 

Completed the 1st physical appt for hearing loss in early Feb 2021.

Still have a lot of items open which have yet to be addressed on this claim.

Did see the Retro Claim payment info on the va government site and waiting on the explanation letter.

But I am at a loss because I thought you didn't get payments until a final decision was made on your claim?

Just wondering if they've just started paying what they've ruled so far while scheduling the other appointments? Or just shut it down with what looks to be 10% and not schedule any other appointments, while the site updates from open gathering evidence to 'closed and final decision'? 

Which would be odd because there are clearly items that need to be addressed with appointments yet scheduled.

Thanks all.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you put the reasons they denied your claims on here we can better help you and advise on your Appeals  because you need to appeal these claims within 1 year from the denial date.

just post a redacted copy of the denial  cover/black out all personal information  name & claim # address ect,,ect,,

If we know why you were denied from what they mention we can better help you.

• HadIt.com Elder

HAM I THINK but not 100% sure on this

IF he don't have any s.c. disabilities rated at all or they are all s.c. 0%  then if he has more than two @ 0% service connected disabilities  then they will apply a 10% rating....now if he has a combination rating and going for the IU  then no they won't apply the 10%  in a non-compensable disability rated at 0%

if he already has one 10% then its not a combination of a rating percent.  as long as he is not applying for the IU....

As I understand..but with the VA it's anyone's guess who is right or wrong.

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

After my current set of claims comes back, I may just take my whole folder (claims history and medical records) to one of the legal rep companies and see what I left on the table.

I have just been plugging along by myself with help rom HADIT and have gone from 30 to 90% a little over 10 years.  I may or may not make the climb to 100 with the latest claims, but I'm sure I have missed some nuggets along the way, and fell into some of the VA's traps.  I've got 9 denials I did nothing with, and like I said before, 7 ailments rated at 0.

Always good to get a second opinion,

Hamslice

To the OP and the original question,

I have had received payments while one or two of my conditions were referred for further work.  Actually, I received a little retro, then regular payments, and then after the deferred issues came back, a bump.

This was when they first started the process of farming out claims to the next rater in line, unlike before when your claims stayed with the same rater all the way through the process, so that might have had something to do with it.  I had one condition that I claimed go to three different raters in three different States with each question opined and answered only to go to a different rater, who hadn't asked the question in the first place.  

Fun with the VA,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Ham ,just keep on doing what you been doing  unless you can find a good honest attorney and don't want 3/4 of your retro....but you will get there at the 100% and more  just keep on trying  you will eventually get there.

just think when they do approved all your claims   you will more than likely be at 100%plus SMC. plus any back pay.

besides if your not working  why not keep on trying to win your claims

And you could be very well correct on the 0%

PLEASE NOT LET ME OR ANY OF US HERE ON HADIT DISCOUAGE YOU.

Keep on fighting  I think you are doing great with your claims.

• HadIt.com Elder
On 3/11/2021 at 6:13 AM, USMCScorpio said:

Hi Hadit community,

I am looking to see if anyone has had payments for a claim that is still open, gathering evidence, and still has physicals and appointments yet to complete?

I received a VACP deposit this morning a little over 2k,

Submitted claim 11/2019 - 

Completed the 1st physical appt for hearing loss in early Feb 2021.

Still have a lot of items open which have yet to be addressed on this claim.

Did see the Retro Claim payment info on the va government site and waiting on the explanation letter.

But I am at a loss because I thought you didn't get payments until a final decision was made on your claim?

Just wondering if they've just started paying what they've ruled so far while scheduling the other appointments? Or just shut it down with what looks to be 10% and not schedule any other appointments, while the site updates from open gathering evidence to 'closed and final decision'? 

Which would be odd because there are clearly items that need to be addressed with appointments yet scheduled.

Thanks all.

It's possible they will pay you retro on a claim now and then later on when they approve more of your claims  you will get retro on those too.

They have to figure out how to pay you and how much your  dependents get.

just remember to keep everything the letters the VA sends you  keep the envelope they come in  it all may prove to be worth the trouble. someday.

I remember broncovet won his claim and the back pay was not correct...they failed to pay his dependents  he contacted them and walla he got his dependent pay straighten out.

if you want to be sure they don't short change your retro or pay you the wrong retro due to your EED or other wrong payments to you.

look up the rating criteria for what your claiming and see how much percentage you should get according to the rating criteria of what it is your claiming to include any symptoms for MH Disorders.   ect,,,ect,,,  in your claims I hope you mention you want the highest rating allowe3d by law for your claimed disability...some times that works sometimes it don't.