VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary to PTSD claims question

Rate this question

71monty

Question

Good morning everyone,

I just got rated at 70% for PTSD after previously being denied as not service connected. For the first claim, I was going through a company (VAclaimpros) which was a big mistake. I appealed and just simply told the examiner what I was going through as well as my family. I submitted a letter from my wife and a report from when I was Police Officer stating that I had PTSD and the list of medications. I have previously been denied claims for sleep apnea and tinnitus. They acknowledged that I did have sleep apnea from my personal medical records and the UPPP surgery I had years ago but said it was not service connected. They also acknowledged my hearing issues but said it was not service connected. I have been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, ED, Peyronie's disease (because of the ED), hypertension and insomnia from both private and VA doctors. I have been taking medicines for all three. I have sciatica 

My question is what should I file a secondary claim for or if I should even file one at all and leave well enough alone since I have 70%.

Thank You

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello and Welcome to Hadit,

YOU CAN APPEAL THEIR DECISION ON YOUR HEARING LOSS AND THE OTHER CLAIMS YOU WERE DENIED FOR. (WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM THE DATE YOU WERE DENIED)

Get you an IMO ( Independent Medical Opinion)for a qualified Dr STATE LISCENSE AUDIOLOGIST, Ask him/her to use the VA guidelines for the examination for the hearing test  to include the Maryland CNC Word Test, AND FOLLOW THE VA CRITERIA.

if you show significant hearing loss  then use that test to submit as your evidence  ask the Dr to read your medical records and give him/her some information about what you did in the military...loud sudden noise can cause hearing loss  and also describe your tinnitus to him let him know its constant and always there  especially at night

ASK THE DR TO WRITE IN HIS/HER REPORT THAT he/she has read your medical records and due to what he has mention to me WHAT HIS JOB WAS WHILE IN THE MILITARY it is my medical opinion  IS LEAST LIKELY AS NOT he has noise induced hearing   that could be or the cause and related to his hearing loss he has today DUE TO HIS MILITARY SERVICE..(if you were around loud noise while in the military?)  gun fire  or maybe your job /MOS put you around loud sudden noise.

You may need to file a secondary claim for sleep apnea due to your PTSD MEDICATIONS so that would be a secondary claim to your PTSD.

YOU NEED A SLEEP STUDY AND A DIAGNOSE FOR SLEEP APNEA  WITH VA OR PRIVATE CLINICS.

YOU NEED TO FILE FOR ALL YOU WANT TO CLAIM

CLAIMS,  IF YOUR DENIED YOU CAN ALWAYS APPEAL.

FILING WILL START YOUR EED (EARLY EFFECTIVE DATES.)

SO WHEN YOU DO WIN THESE CLAIMS   (WHICH YOU WILL SOMEDAY) YOU WILL BE PAID RETRO BACK WHEN YOU FIRST DATE FILED.

Since you claimed and were denied and you appealed, you know how the VA works.  If you don't succeed, try, try again.

Sounds like all you have is the 70% for PTSD.  So, the easiest route is to claim other issues you have developed (have symptom's of) that can be attributed to your PTSD.

It's best if you can get a medical person to opine that condition "A" is caused from your Service Connected condition "B" (PTSD).   You have already completed the hurdle of service connection and just need the medical rationale.

Secondary conditions have been the easiest and most beneficial in my claims history.

Good luck,

Hamslice

I have 6 secondary compensated conditions, 30, 30, 20, 10, 0 and 0 percentages.