VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI Claim Now Needs PTSD C&P Exam

Rate this question

runaroundtime

Question

Wondering if anyone has some insight on my current situation.  Long story short, I became 70% service connected in 2018 due to a combination of issues, to include 30% for PTSD.  During my initial physicals with my VA primary care Dr I screened positive for TBI from a vehicle rollover in Afghanistan and began testing/treatment.  I eventually had a neuropsychological exam that Identified several severe cognitive impairments (auditory memory, processing speed) and several more moderate-mild impairments.  Based on this I filed a disability claim for TBI in November of 2019.  I just finally had a C&P exam for TBI that did not last long.  Based on browsing these forums, I am thinking that the neuropsych testing will be used and hopefully the severe cognitive impairment is listed.  Two weeks ago I did an ACE exam for migraines related to TBI.  I have been sitting around wondering when I will get my decision letter but instead just got informed that I need to do another C&P exam for PTSD.  Does anyone know why the PTSD C&P exam is needed now?  Are they trying to identify what symptoms are caused by TBI vs PTSD?  Can this even be determined?  Will they lower my PTSD or combine them?

It has been 18 months since I filed this claim and I am getting pretty stressed out at all the additional testing they are making me go through.  Maybe  am stressing over nothing but waiting around for a decision for 18 months can really put a strain on the process.  

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Runaroundtime. Yes, I believe that the VA is trying to see if they are connected. They always do. It really depends upon what your evidence and prior evidence says. If it does end up a included in your MH conditions (PTSD) and so not approved, you can appeal. The main thing though to make sure you go to the C&P. One piece at a time, brother.

• HadIt.com Elder

I also think they are probably trying to figure out which symptoms are from your TBI an which for PTSD.  Are you getting TDIU now?  You have 70% so if you cannot work these days you should be able to claim TDIU and get 100% benefits.  I did this when I had 70% and got TDIU.  I had a similar problem as yours.