VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

HEART NUCLEAR TEST? DONE!! ANYONE KNOW HOW TO READ THE TEST?

Rate this topic

Buck, you would have to have a LVEF of less that 50% to get any $ or a METS stress test showing 7-10 METS. You're looking good. Sometimes us old farts have a heart hiccup and the PCPs get antsy because we are Vietnam Vets. You'd also have to have a diagnosis of IHD and you do not-just what looks like symptoms that needed to be investigated. Look at DC 7005 under §4.104 for ratings percentages and requirements.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@asknod I can tell you that your stress test results are a lot better than mine (pre-MI 68%, during MI: 31%, post MI: 71% w/10% tissue damage).

After looking at your results, my unprofessional opinion (you learn a lot about the heart after having a heart attack/MI):

Impression
1. Positive Cardiac PET MPI with evidence of a small area, mild in severity, myocardium at risk localizing to the distal RCA territory.

EF = Ejection fraction is a measurement, expressed as a percentage, of how much blood the left ventricle pumps out with each contraction.

myocardium = muscular heart tissue

distal = away from the center of the heart or from where RCA is attached

RCA territory = right coronary artery (supplies the right side of the heart)

localization = where it may originate

The "ABNORMALITY, ATTN. NEEDED" appears to advise the doc to keep an eye on it. Definitely ask the VA doc about it.

The EF is a bit on the high side. Normal is 50% to 70%. An EF over 75% may indicate a heart condition such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. With that, the left ventricle may contract harder and become thicker/stiffer than normal. It is often genetic and could lead to an eventual reduction of EF. Of course, it could very well be something else or nothing.

For what it's worth, aall of my stress tests have shown mild mitral valve regurgitation (before/after my heart attack). But VA heart docs have never came out and told me anything about it. I ask them and they just say they will keep an eye on it or I can let them know if my pains worsen.

I was denied for valve regurgitation, not sure why, but, I was given 10% for hypertension the second time around (filed for an increase) and I got 30% for LVH secondary, and then another 30% for irregular heart beats secondary. 

My stress test and nuclear test were similar to yours, some numbers a little worse, some better, but I too did not meet the numbers needed for a rating.

However, as stated above, there are other things regarding heart disease, that you can be rated for.

A podiatrist told me I had mini heartbeats.  My cardiologist and my PCP both knew I had them, but told me that a lot of people have them and its no big deal, and didn't say anything about them in my reports.

30% hidden right there,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, asknod said:

Buck, you would have to have a LVEF of less that 50% to get any $ or a METS stress test showing 7-10 METS. You're looking good. Sometimes us old farts have a heart hiccup and the PCPs get antsy because we are Vietnam Vets. You'd also have to have a diagnosis of IHD and you do not-just what looks like symptoms that needed to be investigated. Look at DC 7005 under §4.104 for ratings percentages and requirements.

Roger that Asknod

I don't really care about the $$,  Just don't wont to wake up dead some morning  eh!!!

I may need to lose weight or get myself in better shape  and stop being a couch potato  or stay off my lap-top more.....I can get out at the grocery store and shop for a few grocery's and I am out of breath going to the car putting in the grocery's  ect,,,,ect,,,,,...same after I get home  just unloading them I run out of breath  or have to breath hard , somethings not right ?    I don't hurt in my chest or anything  just when I exert myself and it don't take much to do that......after I catch my breath I am fine. 

I think I need to lose over 100 lbs   I weigh 267lbs and I am , 6'2   & most of my weight  is in my mid section  arms 'legs seem fine.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Buck. Keep in mind these tests are based upon looking at pictures. They rev up your engine, Shut it off then put on the Camera.

I had a couple of these tests done and they were read to be normal. Not long after I was in a Cath Lab. You should see a cardio doc just to be sure.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that John,

I did see a Heart Dr...most all test were negative  but the heart Dr did tell me if I lose some weight I'd breath a lot better  I am way over weight  obese  and that's over 50% of my problem as for as my breathing problem.

I will try to lose weight....I need to anyway  for when they do surgery on my lower abdomen hernia, Kinda bidding my time due to my spouse   recent Neck and back surgery  she laid up for a while..

BTW she did get approved for the A&A.