Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Chairman Craig Sums It All Up

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I think his point is excellent and vets do have the intelligence to make a choice. I am a member of GSW and they took a strong stand in behalf of all vets and surviving spouses to have this choice:

NEWS FROM THE RANKING MEMBER OF THE U.S. SENATE COMMITTEE ON VETERANS’ AFFAIRS

SEN. CRAIG RENEWS COMMITMENT TO DISABLED VETERANS

Discusses veterans' right to right to hire attorneys

Sen. Larry Craig speaking to the DAV

February 28, 2007

Media contact: Jeff Schrade (202)224-9093

(Washington, DC) At a joint hearing held Tuesday with members of both the U.S. Senate and House Committees on Veterans’ Affairs, U.S. Senator Larry Craig praised DAV National Commander Bradley Barton and thanked members of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) for their service in uniform and today as advocates for America’s disabled veterans.

"Those members of the military who are harmed while in the service of their nation are our nation’s heroes. I am committed, as is every member of these two committees, to seeing that our nation’s disabled veterans receive the finest care," said Craig, the top Republican on the Senate committee.

The Senator from Idaho noted that since 2001, federal spending on the U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs health care system has increased 70 percent. In addition, President Bush has proposed a nearly 8 percent increase for next year’s VA budget.

"I know we share common goals of ensuring that our nation’s veterans are cared for by a quality health care system, compensated by a fair and accurate adjudication process, and honored at the end of their lives," said Craig.

During his comments, Craig also discussed whether veterans should have the right to legal counsel when confronting the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. In December the U.S. Senate passed and President Bush signed into law legislation Sen. Craig crafted which will enable veterans to hire an attorney during their appeals process with the VA.

Although a wide array of organizations supported changing the old policy, including the Vietnam Veterans of America, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Wounded Warrior Project, Gold Star Wives, and Non Commissioned Officers Association, the new law is opposed by the DAV.

"This law would simply provide veterans with the option of hiring lawyers, if they so choose. If quality, free representation is available from a veterans service organization, such as the DAV, I fully expect most veterans would decide that is a better option than paying a lawyer," said Craig, who also noted that he is not a lawyer – a point which drew a round of appreciative laughter from the audience.

"I believe that veterans – who the President has accurately called ‘our nation’s finest citizens’ – are mature, responsible, and capable enough to decide for themselves whether to hire legal representation."

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is now working on regulations to implement the law. The right to representation for veterans will become effective in June.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• In Memoriam

DAV supposedly has commitments on the Hill to undo the veterans representation act. This seems odd to me, for Congress to pass legislation one year, only to undo it the next. But stranger things have happened, and DAV is the big gorrilla on this issue. Congress almost literally eats out of their hands. You might think that DAV would be interested in laying off some of their caseload onto the private bar, since this would allow them more time to focus on cases that are left.

Alex

And they could have an excuse to get rid of their dead weight NSOs -the ones who still dont have a clue-and the old farts waiting for their pension to kick in.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN COUNSELOR?

Newbys- Alex is an excellent reason why we need attorneys -because he is an exempliary attorney- it doesnt get any better than that.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Actually I think the reason DAV is REALLY opposed to the law, is the simple fact that it will diminish its power. At this point, sadly, the only option for Vets is to use VSO's like the DAV's to file their claims. This in fact gives DAV a pretty big back room bargaining chip when it comes to other issues. Nothing good will happen to the DAV out of it, so it MUST in turn be bad for the DAV. That is the mentality. DAV and the other VSO's have rather perversly both been the only source of help for MOST veterans, while at the same time having their entire power base derive from those same veterans that NEED their help. If you eliminate one, then by proxy you eliminate the other... or at least diminish it.

When it comes to VSO's DAV is the biggest and baddest boy on the block. I dont think that they are any too eager to see their need diminished. The other VSO's dont have as much prestige, power, or funding from veterans, so they simply dont have as much to lose. We dont know what the DAV has been offered to try and stymie this deal, but I'd be willing to bet that some back channel communications have hinted at least at some benefits toward the DAV....

What does this mean to us... well the fact is that ANY organization reaches a point where it ceases to exist for its constituents, voters, or citizens and instead simply exists for the sake of power alone. Eventually all organizations cease to represent the person or idea they started with, and in so doing become less than they were even as they perversly grow in power. The argument can be made on almost any organized entity, unless it is a capitalistic one - like Wal-Mart... will have this happen. I personally believe that is what is going on within the DAV now.

Does the DAV provide essential, and often quite necessary functions. Heck yeah! Yet, at the same time doesn't it seem that they are more and more focused on the national level instead of the local one? Their argument is that they can better serve veterans in Congress than on a one-to-one basis, and thats true enough I suppose. Yet, its the same pattern you see again and again... while the fact is they DO serve veterans as a whole better at the congressional level, their support comes from the individual, and this law WILL diminish the need for their help, and in so doing ultimatly diminish their power.

Daddy told me..." when something happens for reasons you dont understand Bobby, always look to see where the money is. That will tell you why... more often than anything else". He was right then, and God bless and keep him, hes right now. Look to the money and that will explain everything, money equals power in Washington and everywhere else... and this legislation can do nothing BUT diminish DAV's money, and therefor power. I think they justify this to themselves by saying that they can better look to our needs than us, and they need the money to do so.... but thats all it is.. a justification of a policy they already were going to put into place, and will stick to no matter what.

Bob Smith

Guest terrysturgis

The DAV was good to me during my claim process. After I won 100% P&T the state DAV SO called me to ask me to be a volunteer SO because of the way I presented my claim. If not for HADIT I could not have done it the way I did, THANKS T-Bird.

Now if I was in charge at the DAV I would be thinking about training my SO's to steer claiments to the best attorney availiable to help that Veteran with his claim.

I have a friend that was awarded 30% for PTSD. As soon as attorneys become availiable I will help him find one that can help him with his claim. I wanted to NOD fot a higher percentage but after the stressor letters and other things he was dealing with he did not want to continue with the VA process.

As said, "Let the veteran make the choice". Terry Sturgis