Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was trying to get caregiver benefits for my wife. I submitted the application.  VA called me back for a social worker to talk to me.  The VA said that I must use skype or video phone to have the application processed.  I told them that I don't have access to smart phone or skype and they refused to continue to process my wife's application.  I think and I am sure they are violating my rights once again.  There is no reg that says I must use skype or phone video to process a claim.  What to do?  I have not gotten an official denial yet and I have contacted my congressman about this crap.  The VA can't force me to user skype or video instead of face-to-face meetings.  I know they are blowing smoke and are just too lazy to come out to my house.  Any suggestions?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

We don't see eye to eye on the VA.   I have been dealing with the VA as a claimant for 50 years.  I have been thrown so many curve balls I can't count them all.  Someone from VA called my wife to set up a video call to process her caregiver claim.  She told them we did not have access to video, and they said we cannot process your caregiver claim if you don't have skype or video.  How plain can it get? When wife advised me of this I asked my congressman to get involved.  The VA has tried this on me before where they want my appointments to be done on video.  I reject that option.  You say I don't see the whole picture.  I see enough of the picture to know I don't like it and I am not going to take it.  You are all knowing so maybe you see the big picture.  I know plenty about the VA having been screwed by them for 30 years before I got wise.

We'll agree to disagree. Ive been dealing with them for over 20 so Im not a spring chicken either. I posted the reason they are doing video- you can not like it, but your congressperson isn't going to overturn a current EO thats binding on all federal agencies, not just the VA. Best of luck. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• HadIt.com Elder

I almost can say 50 years...I filed my first claim with VA IN 1974  I had deal with them rascals way back then  couple years after I got out, I got on the GI-Bill  went 4 years to school and during that time had conflict with then they tried to make me payback 6 month of school compensation  I got a check every month I was in school and  had passing grades  one or two class I took and they paid me for we found out 6months later these classes was not going toward my degree  so the va Tried to get their $$ back   we sent them the first check and never accepted any checks from them after that,   they claim we had spent this $$ and they tried to get us to pay it back,,so we dealt with that for about two years   finally someone in the upper supervised position seen where we did send the check back  and  they made a mends to it and left us alone with it. these years were 74  thru 77

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I think something to keep in mind here is that there is a generational gap in how we view/deal/have dealt with the VA. I am not a champion for them, either, as ive had to file appeals on things and ive seen well documented claims get denied and then appealed and won. I see them constantly trying to improve within the confines of whatever strictures Congress places on them, and the timelines of a giant federal agency. Maybe some of you don't. *shrug* I can't do anything to change that but im not going to let new people get discouraged by information about "the good old days" of VA when thats not even how things are done anymore, either. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• HadIt.com Elder

What do mean "good old days"?  I am not talking about the distant past.  I know you work for the VA.  That is ok but it seems to me you have a bias just like I do as strictly being a claimant.  Don't insult me by making me seem like a Neandertal man regarding the VA.  The stuff that went on years ago is still going on today. Ask any vet who has had their claim denied and been in appeals for years.  We disagree on the VA and that is OK, but don't talk down to me about my experience over many years.  I filed a CUE a few years ago and it took 7 years to be finally adjudicated.  That is not prehistoric.  That is now.  I had expert legal representation and it still took almost a decade.

Ive been both. I dont have a bias, and ive clearly identified myself as an employee, before, although im low on the totem pole, so its not like im lurking around. In the same respect, don't 'insult' me by assuming I have no idea of past transgressions with the VA. My dad was a Vietnam vet with AO issues. I'm well aware of what a pain it is to deal with the VA both with him and with myself. There are also something like 26,000 VBA employees. They aren't all winners. /out on this one

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff