Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Ptsd Commission Finds Mistake!

Rate this topic

jessejames

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 100% P&T for a Mental Reason you still can't work or better not if you want to keep it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are 100% P&T for a Mental Reason you still can't work or better not if you want to keep it.

I don't understand. I am 100% PTSD with burns %'s and scars. I keep getting the run around about working. Even from the va when I call and talk to different people. Overall, they said that I can work if I am P&T...I just started last week with orientation..Now what do I do ???

I don't understand. I am 100% PTSD with burns %'s and scars. I keep getting the run around about working. Even from the va when I call and talk to different people. Overall, they said that I can work if I am P&T...I just started last week with orientation..Now what do I do ???

The VA needs to have a Question and Answer website that has "CONCRETE" information about 'disabilities and employment.'

Riverman

Guest Namvet6567

A veteran that is 100% can work. Remember the ratings chart is based on loss of earnings due to s/c disability(s). Many amputees are rated 100% and work full-time. If part of the criteria for the claimants 100% is the inability to work, then I would tread lightly and think twice. For PTSD, TDIU is a no brainer - can't work. However, a 100% schedular PTSD rating doesn't necessarily mean the claimant can't work. Not "all" the criteria for 100% needs to be met in order to receive a 100% schedular rating. I doubt a PTSD 100% claimant could hold down a full-time job, and if they could I doubt it would be for long. jmho Flip

A veteran that is 100% can work. Remember the ratings chart is based on loss of earnings due to s/c disability(s). Many amputees are rated 100% and work full-time. If part of the criteria for the claimants 100% is the inability to work, then I would tread lightly and think twice. For PTSD, TDIU is a no brainer - can't work. However, a 100% schedular PTSD rating doesn't necessarily mean the claimant can't work. Not "all" the criteria for 100% needs to be met in order to receive a 100% schedular rating. I doubt a PTSD 100% claimant could hold down a full-time job, and if they could I doubt it would be for long. jmho Flip

Yes, you are right about one thing. I could never hold a full time job again. To much stress,etc. But I am 100% PTSD, 30% Muscle Tension Headaches, 20% Burns, 0% Scars,etc. I am only 44 years old. I have to do something for more money and Mental relief..Been married 21 years so far, and it's not easy not having no outlet. With all do respect to the ladies. I also took a big lost with Social Security. I could not get it. They said I only had 18 points ( need 20 in past 5 years of working). It's because I worked for the state for a few years. Someone told me that you can make them take prior credits from your military service. But I gave up and have not tried this yet. Thank You for all your advice...

Edited by fitbuddy

Yes, you are right about one thing. I could never hold a full time job again. To much stress,etc. But I am 100% PTSD, 30% Muscle Tension Headaches, 20% Burns, 0% Scars,etc. I am only 44 years old. I have to do something for more money and Mental relief..Been married 21 years so far, and it's not easy not having no outlet. With all do respect to the ladies. I also took a big lost with Social Security. I could not get it. They said I only had 18 points ( need 20 in past 5 years of working). It's because I worked for the state for a few years. Someone told me that you can make them take prior credits from your military service. But I gave up and have not tried this yet. Thank You for all your advice...

You weren't in the military for more then 18 mnths? If so, then you qualify for SS...your military survice is a job that you pay taxes on (SS) and most certainly counts towards the minimum number of months needed to qualify for SS. Hell, my wife's only job (aside from some retail she did in HS) was her military career...she only spent 6 yrs in the military and is only, currently, 28yrs old and 100% P&T with HB and SS.

As for work, don't do it, period! Unless you can make well more then you could from the VA (not likely I'm guessing) then it is NOT worth the risk, especially in cases of PTSD. Unlike other disbabilities (like missing foot/leg/arms/etc), there is no concrete rating for PTSD and one of the major criteria for a 100% rating is "complete OCCUPATIONAL disability"...in fact, any GAF under 40 implies that you cannot work due to your psychological issues. By going to work you are, in effect, saying that you are better. I can't stress it enough, work while at that level of PTSD is a HORRIBLE idea. Trust me:-)

Here are the 100% and 70% rating criteria for mental disorders...pay close attention to the "occupational" parts:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name....................... 100%

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships...........................70%

There is NO WAY you could qualify for either of these and be gainfully employed in my opinion.....at the very least the 70% level would be a HUGE uphill battle if you're employed.

P.S. - Not saying I agree with these rules...in fact, I think all folks with 100% PTSD (chronic) should be locked in for life regardless of employment. It would allow them to TRY to better themselves socially (IE - quality of life) and statistics show, even if they did attempt to work, that PTSD people ALWAYS relapse and will, eventually, lose any employment they were able to achieve. If I ran the VA I would start a system by which people are locked into 70%+ ratings and reduce their VA pay by any money they make in the civilian sector...this would save the VA money in the long run and give a LOT more stability to veterans with psychiatric disorder.

Edited by Jay Johnson