Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective date

Rate this question

Combat eng

Question

On my benefit summary and service verification letter it states Mar 4, 2020 as effective date you became totally and permanently disable due solely to your service connected disabilities. Is this the date that my Backpay starts at a 100% ?

2 answers to this question

The best thing to do is to wait for your official letter or to review your official letter. It will show the breakdown of your award and how much the VA paid you and when the VA paid you including your dependents if you have any. Ebenefits and va.gov can be off and not correct at times.

If I have not said it Congratulations!

Edited by pacmanx1

Yes, Congratulations!  I agree with Pacman.  It is pointless to speculate "what ebenefits or Va.gov means".  Once you get the envelope, you should review the decision, along with your records, to see if your effective date is correct.  

VA is batting 100 percent with me on effective dates.  They have all been wrong, and I eventually won earlier one's upon appeal.  A common mistake is for VA to use the date of the exam.  This is virtually always incorrect.  Why?  Well this suggests you went to the exam, a happy camper, no disabilities.  YOu exit the exam, and you are Permanently and totally disabled.  Gee, what did that doc do to you?  It often happens when the doc does not give an effective date you became disabled, so, instead of asking for a new exam for an effective date, they just go with the exam date.  

It also assumes you are a prophet.  YOu accurately predicted "you will become disabled" (and applied for benefits) on your c and p exam.  Nope.   You were already disabled, applied, and the doc did not give an effective date.  You are not a prophet.  You see, your benefits have an effective date of the later of "the claim date" or facts found (date the doc says you are disabled).  

Very few, if any people "apply for benefits" because they THINK they will get disabled in the future.  That's pretty crazy.  No, they wait till they are disabled, then apply.  

MANY VETERANS, including myself, actually put up with our disabilitie(s) for years before applying.  I waited, and waited and waited.  Then I finally applied, and Va still got the effective date wrong (after denying me).  

Edited by broncovet