VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Won I/U! But is it P&T?

Rate this question

Sgt. Wilky

Question

Hello All!

The VA made several grants and continued several issues! Overall, I went from 80% to 90% with I/U granted from November of 2020. So I'm being paid at the 100% rate. So thank you all again for the encouragement and advice. It's strange to me, that this was so "Slam, Bam; Thank You Ma'am". I for sure thought that a denial would come and I was gearing up for a fight. No hearings, no meetings with occupational trainers or anything like that. Just, "I/U granted" and some increases from my contentions. I'm very thankful though and I can breathe easier nonetheless!! My two biggest questions are these:

1.  Out of the 8 page decision letter, only in one little place to find these most important words: "Basic eligibility for Dependents' Educational Assistance is granted as the evidence shows you currently have a total sevice-connected disability(ies), permanent in nature." That sentence is found where the VA addresses Eligibility to Dependents' Educational Assistance under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35.

So, no where else is it shown that any of my grants state this in any other part of the decision. The only other place I've found is in the letter that you download for commissary privileges, it states: "This total disability is considered permanent. You are not scheduled for future examinations." It seems to me that if this were truly the case, it should actually state so in the decision letter from the R.O.. Does anyone have any guidance or advice here?

2. Should I be expecting another mailing from the VA that explains in greater detail what I/U means? I mean, I have a good understanding (I think) but do they not explain the ins and outs, the dos and don'ts of being granted and living with I/U? It seems to me again, that the VA might want to explain these things, otherwise a lot of vets could find themselves up $%^& Creek without a paddle here.

Any advice or knowledge would be great.

Thank you all and Semper Fi,

Sgt. Wilky

Edited by Sgt. Wilky
spelling and highlights

18 minutes ago, Mr.B said:

If you decide to get a job! You better talk to your doctor first and let the VA know or they will reduce you in a nanosecond! 

Thanks, not planning on it. I had to quit what I was doing for a reason!

no, we cross reference income for IU veterans because that's the way the law reads but if you are still being treated and find a job that works with your disabilities you just have to stay under X amount, and I would recommend the further the better. That said we ( VA ) don't go out looking for people to reduce, either.

You aren't required to tell us, there is no annual filling anymore. That stopped some years ago. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th