Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

hernia

Rate this question

overthere

Question

have no idea how I got here, or what forum Im in.  Just says "ask new question".  I cant find a list of things, I cant find how to use this site.  It just sends me into the twilight zone.  here goes.

injured in Vietnam 1970.  booby trap explosion foot or two in front of me.  exploratory laparotomy, multiple shell fragment wounds w/bowel perforation, colostomy for a few months.  9 inch vertical scar from just above belly button on down.  severed major artery repair left groin area,  blood transfusion.  injury abdomal wall muscle.  awarded 0% for abdominal wall muscle injury.  10% for the multiple sfw/bowel perf/temp colostomy.  artery repair surgery never mentioned.  time marches on, had other injuries, eventually awarded 90% then unemployability 1984.  1998, surgery for ventral hernia same area, some type of medical "patch" stitched in.  always thought hernia surgery probably related to the other stuff, esp the abdom wall muscle injury.  once saw on ebenefits  the DAV rep made note of it.  nothing about an increase, new injury, etc. dav reps I had never seemed very good.    recall dav rep telling me things like "better than nothing"...."not bad, huh"?   but, long story short ...too late for that...hernia thing/abd wall muscle injury always bugged me, seems it would be related, guess ther dav rep never thought so.   I would often read to keep an eye on things even if rated 100%.   always felt stigma of 'nam combat vets looked down on by society and the system, let lots of things slide.  this is just one of them I've wondered about when I feel the discomfort in that area.  I've rambled on long enough, Im sure this is quite a minor thing compared to most issues on here.  thanks for listening.   hope I can find this spot again to see if anyone had any thoughts, not sure where/how I got here. 

Edited by overthere
length

so I ended up having hernia surgery, due to the 0% injury to abdom wall muscle.  its uncomfortable area now and then.  but I dont wear any special belt/truss, etc, so does that sound like no more beyond the 0% injury?  

where can I find those diagnostic code numbers for disabilities?  the list from ebenefits lists the percentage and name of disability, but no code numbers.  Is there a manual that shows that, and shows 'secondary' disabilities related to ones you already have, other things like that?  It's hard to find lots of basic info.

semper fi, good luck to all

• HadIt.com Elder

Diagnostic code for inguinal hernia is 7338 see https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.114 Not sure what you are doing though. Didn't you say you are getting TDIU at 100%. What are you trying to do, get smc?

I was told on here to keep going, even after 100%.  possible future smc, vehicle benefits, unempl vs schedular, misc other benefits.  plus the fact you are properly rated for all your deserved service injuries.

anyway, I developed the hernia, had the surgery with a mesh patch put in.  so Im thinking the cause was related to the "0% abdominal wall muscle injury".

on a va site, it shows form 21-526EZ, but aren't there different forms that must be used for new claim vs secondary vs related to something?  confusing...as usual.

also, I saw in my records where it was called a ventral hernia, and also called inguinal hernia...are they basically the same?  I think that form asks what kind of hernia.

semper fi, good luck to all

21-526ez- regular claim, claim for increase, secondary contentions, whatever

20-0995- appealing a prior denied while retaining right to submit new evidence. This is a local appeal

20-0996- appealing a prior denied, wanting it reviewed with only the evidence of record. This is a local review