Right then,

to get a wee personal here...  I was born in the US, but never really lived there.  I lived in Scotland from age 4 until I went off to uni at 18.  I attended Southwest Texas State, which is now called Texas State.  I joined CID after I graduated and was posted in Germany from 1998 through 2009, when I retired.  I've been here 33 years.  Long time.

I have been giving it thought over the years.  I'm 57 and will most like die here.  I have no family in the US and my children live here as well. 

I could easily contact the VA, DFAS, Tricare, etc., to understand what happens if I became German.  I would need to inquire in written from to have the proper responses written.  But once that door's been opened, there is no turning back.

So, to ask the hive mind:  Does anyone have knowledge in this?  Would I loose my benefits?  I believe I would be able to keep my retire pay, but VA and Tricare?  I don't know.

Reasons:  Well, they are many.  I have to file two income tax returns each year and the US Government gets to take a portion.  I live here and cannot vote.  There are certain things I cannot do so long as I remain a US citizen.  I am definitely not anti-US, so please do not go there.  I had a grand job for 21 years and enjoyed not only serving the US but the friends I made.  Although I feel loyalty to Scotland and the UK, I am and will remain loyal to the US.  Shite, to a degree I owe a wee loyalty to Germany as well.

Through former colleagues, I do know that I would be placed on a watch list by the FBI.  The US Government does not like their citizens to leave.

Looking forward to responses.

Cheers!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question.  You can live outside the US, but Im not sure you want to give up US Citizenship.We have some Vets who get benefits and dont live here.  

Remember, if you do live outside the US, there are often problems, such as c and p exams, continuation of treatment docuementation, etc.  While I thought about it, I rejected the idea.  Oh, sure, it sounds great.  There are many countries where our compensations is a lot of money, and you can even hire servants.  But, there are always drawbacks, and many dont consider those.  You should save up for a flight back to America once every year or so, because there may well be some things which prove very difficult or impossible overseas.  

Rather than me shoot from the hip, this is what a law firm says:

https://www.woodslawyers.com/va-benefits-disabled-veterans-living-overseas/

I would talk to immigration! Also I would explore duel citizenship! There are a lot of American military expats living abroad! Some have retired visas and working visas! Every country is different! I would start with the American embassy in Germany! 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, broncovet said:

Great question.  You can live outside the US, but Im not sure you want to give up US Citizenship.We have some Vets who get benefits and dont live here.  

Remember, if you do live outside the US, there are often problems, such as c and p exams, continuation of treatment docuementation, etc.  While I thought about it, I rejected the idea.  Oh, sure, it sounds great.  There are many countries where our compensations is a lot of money, and you can even hire servants.  But, there are always drawbacks, and many dont consider those.  You should save up for a flight back to America once every year or so, because there may well be some things which prove very difficult or impossible overseas.  

Rather than me shoot from the hip, this is what a law firm says:

https://www.woodslawyers.com/va-benefits-disabled-veterans-living-overseas/

The last time I was in the US, was 12 years ago.  To be honest, nothing proves difficult here.  I say that BroncoVet, but it could also be where I live.  Other countries could pose more difficult.  C&P exams are not difficult at all here.  I've traveled to Augsburg twice (hour by train) and Stuttgart once (about 1:45 by train).  Due to the Euro / Dollar exchange rate presently, the dollar is slightly weaker.  Due to not having lived in the US for anything longer than about 2, four-year stints, nothing is difficult or impossible. 

Just seems counter-intuitive to keep a passport for a country I haven't lived in for 33 years and never will.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By glenda h
      I have a friend who was an ISG in Reserves.  He was injured over in Iraq.  He was given a Medical Board  by the Army.  He was rated  50% disability and was medically retired.  He has the blue card yet DFAS keeps calling him a Gray area retiree.  VA has rated him as 90%.  He states that DFAS takes 90% of his retirement, gives to VA, which then gives it back to him.  Would he be entitled to both full since he is rated over the 50% from the VA.  ? I advised him to send in a copy of his DD 214/Med Board results to DFAS  
    • By marathonjon
      The VA raised the minimum rating for diagnostic code 5201, limitation of motion of the arm, from 10% to 20% back in May 2016. If you're still rated 10%, you should request the increase. The VA shouldn't require an exam, unless they have reason to believe your condition has improved. You should also request an effective date of one year prior based on “a liberalizing VA issue approved by the Secretary or by the Secretary’s direction.” Specifically, according to M21-1, III.iv.4.A.1.g. Selecting a DC and Minimum Compensable Evaluation for 38 CFR 4.59 Per Sowers v. McDonald: “- This policy particularly affects painful motion of the shoulder evaluated under 38 CFR 4.71a, DC 5201. Under this DC, painful motion of the shoulder warrants assignment of a 20-percent evaluation. - This decision represents a change in longstanding VA policy in which the minimum compensable evaluation was interpreted as a 10-percent evaluation irrespective of the DC involved. . . . . Effective May 23, 2016, the minimum compensable evaluation refers to the lowest evaluation specified under the DC most applicable to the disability.” Per 38 CFR §3.114 Change of law or Department of Veterans Affairs issue: “(a)(3) If a claim is reviewed at the request of the claimant more than 1 year after the effective date of the law or VA issue, benefits may be authorized for a period of 1 year prior to the date of receipt of such request.”
      I was originally rated 10% for both shoulders in 2008 and didn't find out about the increase until last year. I could have been getting the increase for 4 years; not only that, but the bilateral increase to 20% would have raised my overall rating from 80% to 90%. It pisses me off that the VA doesn't notify veterans about changes that might benefit them. I actually think the VA should automatically increase the benefits of every affected veteran effective the date of the change. I've written my senators, congressman, and numerous veterans' organizations about this and urge others to do the same, in addition to requesting any increase that is due to them.
    • By chomperjones
      hello, 
      i was told to look into something called smc l. i dont know if i qualify or not.
      i was given a 100% permanent and total rating in 2015. here are my ailments. 
      biploar disorder 70%
      Asthma due to jet fuel exposure 60%
      cystic acne due to jet fuel exposure 30%
      carpal, allergies, tinnitus each at 10%
      i also get ssdi 100% and they require me to use my sister to manage my finances.
      my sister also basically serves as my caregiver. without her i dont believe i can function. she does everything for me from finances, to taking me to appts, to reminding me and sometimes helping me clean. and more. 
      would i be able to apply for smc-l and if so how would i go about doing it. i overheard a family member discussing it with my sister and mom the other day. and it sounds very helpful. 
      thank you
    • By jbrav123
      Good afternoon,
      I needed some advice in regards to my current VA battle for an effective date change.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
      Timeline:
      April 2013: (During Service) I was taken to the emergency room for headaches and nausea where CT scans were taken. This occurred during training on active duty.
      - ever since then they have only worsened
      Feb 12 ,2018: Filed Claim for headaches
      May 4,2018: Claim DENIED for headaches
      I was unaware of supplemental claims and truly didn't think I had anything to prove the decision was incorrect so years went by.
      October 20,2020: Opened claim for headaches again (no new evidence, and didnt know a supplemental was needed) However, somehow I was granted a C&P exam. During the C&P exam with a VES Neurologist, he was able to pin point the incident that occurred in 2013 during Active Duty where I was sent to the ER for headaches. He confirmed it was service connected.
      October 21,2020: Claim closed (denied), The VA closed it and told me that I had to submit a Supplemental since I had already been denied for headaches previously (2018). So I submitted a Supplemental Claim, stating that I would like to have the same C&P report that was most recently done to support my claim for service connection. (Again nothing in my file changed in 2018-2020 in regards to headaches, this VES Neurologist (2020) was able to locate the incident that occurred during my service whereas in 2018 it seemed like they just didn't catch that incident.
      October 23,2020: Claim for headaches approved 30% (effective 11/1/2020)
      Nov 6,2020: VA received my HLR for effective date change.
      My decision letter from 2018 states:
      "Service connection for headaches is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor was caused by service."  
      October 20,2020
      Service connection for headaches.
      Service connection for headaches has been established as directly related to military service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304) The effective date of this grant is October 20, 2020. Service connection has been established from the day VA received your claim. When a claim of service connection is received more than one year after discharge from active duty, the effective date is the date VA received the claim. (38 CFR 3.400) An evaluation of 30 percent is assigned from October 20, 2020. We have assigned a 30 percent evaluation for your headaches based on:                           - Characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month over last several months
    • By FRG vet
      Hi,
      I just received a 10% rating for a claim I once was denied for. Do you know if I am entitled to retroactive pay to the first date of my original claim? They did regard this as service connected but awarded me a 0 rating back then. Not sure if there is something I can do as I have had this pain since I left the military and didn't appeal the 0 rating in the beginning.
      Any advice?
      Thank you in advance.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines