VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To give up US citizenship.... fallout?

Right then,

to get a wee personal here...  I was born in the US, but never really lived there.  I lived in Scotland from age 4 until I went off to uni at 18.  I attended Southwest Texas State, which is now called Texas State.  I joined CID after I graduated and was posted in Germany from 1998 through 2009, when I retired.  I've been here 33 years.  Long time.

I have been giving it thought over the years.  I'm 57 and will most like die here.  I have no family in the US and my children live here as well. 

I could easily contact the VA, DFAS, Tricare, etc., to understand what happens if I became German.  I would need to inquire in written from to have the proper responses written.  But once that door's been opened, there is no turning back.

So, to ask the hive mind:  Does anyone have knowledge in this?  Would I loose my benefits?  I believe I would be able to keep my retire pay, but VA and Tricare?  I don't know.

Reasons:  Well, they are many.  I have to file two income tax returns each year and the US Government gets to take a portion.  I live here and cannot vote.  There are certain things I cannot do so long as I remain a US citizen.  I am definitely not anti-US, so please do not go there.  I had a grand job for 21 years and enjoyed not only serving the US but the friends I made.  Although I feel loyalty to Scotland and the UK, I am and will remain loyal to the US.  Shite, to a degree I owe a wee loyalty to Germany as well.

Through former colleagues, I do know that I would be placed on a watch list by the FBI.  The US Government does not like their citizens to leave.

Looking forward to responses.

Cheers!

Great question.  You can live outside the US, but Im not sure you want to give up US Citizenship.We have some Vets who get benefits and dont live here.  

Remember, if you do live outside the US, there are often problems, such as c and p exams, continuation of treatment docuementation, etc.  While I thought about it, I rejected the idea.  Oh, sure, it sounds great.  There are many countries where our compensations is a lot of money, and you can even hire servants.  But, there are always drawbacks, and many dont consider those.  You should save up for a flight back to America once every year or so, because there may well be some things which prove very difficult or impossible overseas.  

Rather than me shoot from the hip, this is what a law firm says:

https://www.woodslawyers.com/va-benefits-disabled-veterans-living-overseas/

I would talk to immigration! Also I would explore duel citizenship! There are a lot of American military expats living abroad! Some have retired visas and working visas! Every country is different! I would start with the American embassy in Germany! 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, broncovet said:

Great question.  You can live outside the US, but Im not sure you want to give up US Citizenship.We have some Vets who get benefits and dont live here.  

Remember, if you do live outside the US, there are often problems, such as c and p exams, continuation of treatment docuementation, etc.  While I thought about it, I rejected the idea.  Oh, sure, it sounds great.  There are many countries where our compensations is a lot of money, and you can even hire servants.  But, there are always drawbacks, and many dont consider those.  You should save up for a flight back to America once every year or so, because there may well be some things which prove very difficult or impossible overseas.  

Rather than me shoot from the hip, this is what a law firm says:

https://www.woodslawyers.com/va-benefits-disabled-veterans-living-overseas/

The last time I was in the US, was 12 years ago.  To be honest, nothing proves difficult here.  I say that BroncoVet, but it could also be where I live.  Other countries could pose more difficult.  C&P exams are not difficult at all here.  I've traveled to Augsburg twice (hour by train) and Stuttgart once (about 1:45 by train).  Due to the Euro / Dollar exchange rate presently, the dollar is slightly weaker.  Due to not having lived in the US for anything longer than about 2, four-year stints, nothing is difficult or impossible. 

Just seems counter-intuitive to keep a passport for a country I haven't lived in for 33 years and never will.

If you are certain you wont be returning to the USA, then go ahead after you review the Woods and Woods advice which I linked above.  It seems counter intuitive to me to serve the USA for 4 or more years, then give up your citizenship for another country, even if you have family outside USA.  Im not sure of your reasons for serving the USA, but whatever they were, did anything change in that regard?  

For me, nothing changed from when I served.  I love the USA, and risked my life to serve USA.  I still do, even tho, of course, there are things I dont like about USA.  

Vets tell me that Germany is a wonderful place to be stationed if you must go overseas.  I have never been to Germany but I have been to England and Italy.  

A friend of mine once advised with chess moves:  "make the move which leaves you the most options" if you are contemplating a choice between 2 equally valid moves.  

Someone else said it differently:  Dont burn down any bridges that you may need to cross someday.  Ripping up your USA citizen ship may be hard to reverse.  For that reason, unless you have a compelling reason, I would keep USA citizen ship.  Remember, both USA leadership and Germany leadership could change in the future, and who knows:  Maybe USA will pass a law to NOT compensate Veterans who give up their citizens ship.  Or, worse, maybe Germany leadership will change and make it "not so nice" place to live anymore.  

It seems counter intuitive to me to serve the USA, then rip up that citizenship later, unless there is a compelling reason.  One example of a compelling reason:  Love.  If you had to do this to be able to marry the one you love, then that is a compelling reason.  

Broncovet, this is nice information to read and I do appreciate your words of concern.  Most of this I know already.  No offence. 

What I am trying to determine is.  Will Tricare drop me as I would no longer be a US citizen?  Will the VA no longer pay my disability or would DFAS no longer pay retirement?

My reasons for serving the US?  I was born there.  When CID came knocking on my door during my third year at uni, I was told I would need to relinquish my British Passport (dual citizen).  As I said, I feel loyalty to the US and always will.  Just as I do for the UK.  I was asked to serve, thought on it and decided to.  Easy.  The US Government sent me to Germany in 1988.  Think on this:  I registered to vote in 1983 whilst in uni and using that address - my last US address.  I have been trying to re-register ever since, but I cannot use the uni address. 

My situation is a right mess and I know that.  I'm a square peg trying for a round hole.  I just worry that should I decide to give it up, what payments and insurance would I loose?