VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Announces 5.9 Percent Benefit Increase for 2022

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Social Security Announces 5.9 Percent Benefit Increase for 2022

Social Security and SSI beneficiaries are normally notified by mail starting in early December about their new benefit amount. Most people who receive Social Security payments will be able to view their COLA notice online through their personal my Social Security account. People may create or access their my Social Security account online at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

Press Release | Press Office | SSA

Correct.  What we dont know yet, (as far as what IM aware of), is what medicare will be.  As most of social security recipients know, medicare (part B) is about $145 per month this year.  We dont know what it will be next year.  For social security, on medicare, the so called 5.9% increase may not be so much especially if medicare goes up more than 5.9%.  

We will see.  I dont think the medicare has been announced yet.  

I started out "without" part B.   When I turned 65, however, I opted into part B and had to pay the $145 per month.   I did this because, as many know, the VA medical care can be substandard.  So we may have to go outside the VA for decent care.  

Case in point:  CPAP's.  

VA is "dragging their feet" with the replacement CPAP's from the recall "letting Phillips" handle the recall.  Instead of doing anything about it, they just let Phillips jerk Veterans around for months, or years, to get a replacement cpap for the defective one.  

So, I got an independent sleep doc to write a prescription for my cpap.  (You cant get a cpap without a prescription).  

Well, I took the prescription to private medical places..and I still got the run around.  

One place told me, "we have cpap's just send us a doc order".  I found out that was a lie.  They dont have em either..their is a national shortage of cpaps both in and outside of VA.  

I fell like I wasted the 145 per month for the last 4 years..thats about $7000 down the drain, because private care was no better than VA care..at least not when I needed it for a new cpap.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been on Medicare Part A and B for 20 years.  Not only do I have to pay the Medicare premium but my SSA is taxed and so is my wife's.  However, getting myself to the VA for care is getting harder for me.  I have to drive miles to get to local VAMC.  When I get there I have to walk a long way to get to the hospital entrance.  I can't see me using the VA when I am 80 years old if I live that long.   By the way Colin Powell died from Covid complications today.

• HadIt.com Elder

Marine

He also had Parkinson's which is an AO disease.  I hope he claimed those conditions.  Being tough and not claiming disabilities is bad for other poor vets who can't afford to ignore these things.  I will claim every AO condition I have. I claimed four already.