VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Friend has been as to travel 90 miles for his comp exams.

Rate this question

Mr cue

Question

So my friend calls me this morning tell me that lhi ask him to travel a 90 mile away.

This is crazy an ppl feel like this is ok.

If a veteran is disabled I don't many who can travel that far alone.

The va hospital is 10-15 mins away we're he and I have always had are comp exams.

I don't want to hear the hospital can no longer do them. Because they can.

This has to stop.

He told them he not able to travel that far they tell him it might be 2 3 weeks before they can get something closer.

Once I complete this fight.

I have a new mission

3 hours ago, Mr cue said:

Ok i have seen nothing but np doing comp exam remember the don't have to be doctor. Smh.

But they can't send you to the va hospital because they don't have special doctors. Ok.

I know at my VAMC they had a comp & pen department, and in that same department they had physicians and NPs do the pre-employment exams for prospective VAMC employees.  In any case, I found the comp & pen department very approachable.  I worked at the VAMC.  It helps to smoke. You meet a lot of people in the smoke shack. I made a friend who worked in the comp & pen department. However, they would rotate these registration desk clerks from one department to another.  Like I said, I had to travel quite a distance because I wasn't allowed to do the comp & pen exam at the VAMC where I worked (conflict of interest).  The VAMC is so big that often times one desk doesn't know or understand what the next desk is doing, and the VBA is has very different concerns than the VHA, so that adds a layer of opacity to what vets face.  That being, if it were me, I would GO to the VAMC's comp & pen department and ask if they are taking on new exams. I would get that answer from a supervisor and not just a clerk.

I see some here on Hadit have opted for an Independent Medical Exam, in place of a C&P, but others have said that refusing to do a C&P on any basis is not wise.

I really don't know. Maybe it helps to be a member of the American Legion and or the DAV to get help from other members beyond what is officially offered by the organizations. I am a member of both and if no one could or would help me then I would be re-thinking my dues and my memberships. 

I don't have an answer Mr. Cue.  Only that I'm sorry your friend is facing this problem.

Yes it's not that serious he will get a closer exam.

I just don't like all this private company comp exam stuff.

An it's not helping.

And as long as us veterans let this go nothing will be done.

Everbody upset that we have to do a freedom of information act to get a copy of your comp exam.

If everbody act like this normal they will make it normal.

All I was saying

10 minutes ago, Mr cue said:

Everbody upset that we have to do a freedom of information act to get a copy of your comp exam.

Right. My understanding is that a comp exam done at the VAMC shows up in Blue Button, and that makes things much easier. I don't like the third party outsourcing either. I was especially surprised to see so much outsourcing occurring on the military bases now. I got out in '81, and the bases were their own islands, set apart from the commercial world. Times change, but maybe not for the better.

Where I am located we have three C&P contract companies and sometimes get the exams done in less than two weeks.  The VA hospital doesn't do them and I am glad because if they did you would wait over a month and the backlog would grow.  Contracting out is a great thing despite the sky is falling crowd's opinions.

Hopefully in your area, the contracted c&p examiners are Vet friendly. I only have contracted examiner in Springfield, not very friendly at all. Lots of vets are complaining. The bad thing that the examiner is a Vet as well.