VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

daily unit locations in nam

Rate this question

overthere

Question

this is surely the most confusing, complex site to navigate, can never figure out how/what/where to go.  really dread trying to find the most basic info.

probably in the wrong spot, here goes.  Is there a way to get the daily locations/movements of the unit/company/platoon, etc,  you were with while in 'nam?  Activities....'after action reports'.... want to look up what was recorded on day I was wounded 1970, also other specific things that happened but dont remember what day it was.  is there such specific info I can get, or just basic info such as "this is the area the 1st Marine Division covered in 1970", etc.  hope this makes sense. 

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just spit balling but I suspect you may have to issue a FOIA request . You may find what you want if you could get copies from the company's and battalion daily reports. If the unit in question is the 1st Marine Div. since it is an active unit, I suspect you could contact the PR office in headquarters and start there, again, depending on what info you are looking for.

Have you accessed your unit's web site?

Have your formally filed a VA claim? Have you attempted to write to JSRRC?

Make sure the request goes to the USMC....

I have a vast Marine CORPS History of Vietnam-

What is the full name of your unit? Such as' 1stMARDIV, !st Amphibious Tractor Battalion-that was my husband's unit

1970- any other info like a month? -was it near a specific holiday?what was Hannoi Hanna saying? What American Music was popular?  What was news at that time back in the world per RAdio Free and also Stars and Stripes Magazine?

Can you pin down where you where when this happened- this is my Vietnam  War Map:

Vietnam War Map.doc

Does any of these names of vil's seem familar to you?  

Do you have any memory of any Americanized names of where you were --the map is in Vietnamese-were you near a Song ( Dong) - a River?

Quang nam, An Hoa, My hiep/Ops Barren greens

Were you near Monkey Mountain, and of course , Danang

Was your unit a reinforcement?

Nothing is impossible. It just takes a lot of work and research sometimes.

to add JSRRC is behind in many requests and  they also need a 3 month window to research your unit in Vietnam.

You can Zoom up the map on your PC- yes I think it is confusing here for newbees, but if you clicked notifications for replies you will get a notification in you email and can find stuff here via the search feature but that is not always easy-

After action Reports and Morning reports can be found- I forget how-will try to figure that out.

Did this invident invole the death of anyone in your unit who you personally knew?

If so there name will be on the Wall which is virtual now in hyperspace. You need their real name ( nicknames were popular in Vietnam) and their Hometown back in the world.And approximate date of their death.

That is always good evidence ( a tracing of the Wall plaque from DC or from Travelling Wall, or from on line Wall.) to support claims of PTSD or  even sometimes other injury claims. 

http://thewall-usa.com/

Edited by Berta
added more.

• HadIt.com Elder

From July to August 1970 Division units conducted Operation Pickens Forest southwest of An Hoa Combat Base. From 1 September to 7 May 1971 Division and ROKMC units conducted Operation Imperial Lake in the Quế Sơn District south of Da Nang.

If you can remember your unit  and location and dates if the  event or what is around you can describe? was it on a Holiday  .birthday  ect,,ect,, buddy letters help  remember the  name of your CO, Names of NCO;s first Srgt   ect,,,ect,, you can write that all out in your lay statement to help suppot your claim  , if you can give a good Ideal of the event & your location as close to these dates /locations  they can check out your story  and if they find your story has merit  then they will accept your claim,  you  need medical records to support your claim   but you need to describe the area you were at the best you can.  anything like markers or land markers  to Idenfy where you were,  if your unit has desovled  your lay statemet can be very benefical  if they find to be of merit.

Remember anything you can think of you seen while you were there describe it the best you can   anything that they can relate to to check out your story  that puts you there in that location an dates close  to them as close as you can.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Try  JSRRC  @ or   they maybe located in your state capitol  (Dept of military records) send in the FIOA form  that gives thre permission to look.

• HadIt.com Elder

Try your state Captiol  Dept of Military records JSRRC always send with  FOIA Form and don't forget to sign it date it.  use your SS#  AS THIS WILL HELP ID YOUR CLAIM  THEY USE YOUR SS # TO I.D. YOU

SO REMEMBER TO PUT IT ON EVERYTHING YOU SEND THE VA  KEEP COPIES  DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY  ITS GOOD TO JUST KEEP THEM IN THE ENVOLPE THEY COME IN,   KEEP IN SAFE PLACE FOREVER...THEY MAY COME IN HANDY SOME DAY.

Edited by Buck52