VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU

Rate this question

Thai Vet

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are you asking about tax homestead exemption? If you are P&t tdiu, usually yes, but every state is different for homestead exemption/property taxes and for vehicle registration. You’d need to check locally for that. 

Your va money, however, is tax free. 

My tax person told me "not" to include VA disability checks as income on IRS form 1040.  I guess it confuses IRS, since, obviously some people work there and pay taxes on VA income, just like any other.  Va disability comp is not taxable through the federal government.  

And, yes, if you are applying for the homestead PROPERTY tax exemption, you will need to check with your state.  My state does not distinguish between tdiu and 100 percent schedular, both are eligible for the homestead (veterans) tax exemption, which I think means no taxes on the first 40,000 of property evaluation.  

• HadIt.com Elder
10 hours ago, broncovet said:

My tax person told me "not" to include VA disability checks as income on IRS form 1040.  I guess it confuses IRS, since, obviously some people work there and pay taxes on VA income, just like any other.  Va disability comp is not taxable through the federal government.  

And, yes, if you are applying for the homestead PROPERTY tax exemption, you will need to check with your state.  My state does not distinguish between tdiu and 100 percent schedular, both are eligible for the homestead (veterans) tax exemption, which I think means no taxes on the first 40,000 of property evaluation.  

Broncovet 

For some reason I don't know  but when myy son went to file my my taxes  he completed them on the  Turobo Tax App.he sent the pdf file to me for me to sigh and date and mail it in, as I was fixing to go mail it  he called and said do not mail it I don't need to file  beings our VA COMP IS TAX FREE but I said what about SSR? HE SAID ITS UNDER THE 14.000 WERE ALLOWED TO HAVE  so in all I  never sent in my tax forrms  I still have it ready to mail  but  since he said don't mail it  I didn't.

I guess if its wrong IRS will be sending me a wheres your 1099?  or something.  if the the 15th april is the dead line  maybe I will hear back from the IRS?

• Lead Moderator

I think you still need to send it in even if you do not owe.  As this could result in a late filing and then you could owe.  I am not a professional at this, I just know when you read each one they should have the instruction on them.

I think your son is correct, but I think you still need to file.  But your taxable income should be 0.

• Community Owner

The VA does not send you 1099's because you benefits are Tax free.  I know because I ask. Soial Security can be taxed but only if you have Taxable Income. (ie. money you earn from work)