VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ILP was approved

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

Its been a few years since I have posted anything, I am trying to stay busy and keep good thoughts.

On 16 May 2020, I had a face to face meeting with an ILP counselor. This was my first contact, when I arrived home,  there was an email saying I was accepted to the program. I know by expierence this really means nothing. They have no choice but to take me into the program, since I have 2 100% ratings, and a TDIU. ( Yes I have been busy accumulating ratings) 

In the past under this program I did not have much luck. In 1999, they gave me a cheap E-Machine computer, and printer with a few classes. In 2005 they kept stringing me along for two years,, and finally dropped my case.  In 2007, I applied again and again nothing .  This time I took a diffferent approach. First, the ILP program now has its own version of the adapted housing grant, and they do not require you to use any grants already awarded, this is good because you can get work done that you need to be more  independant,  and basically the law says there is no limit on the cost. So I asked for a new ramp, a new door iinstall, removing a window for the door, as an emergency exit from the bedroom, and a new  Master bed room closet, since when I last used my housing grant, they used my closet to make a bathroom, and there were not enought funds to build a new closet. I am asking for a new lift chair, since my legs and back are too worn to get up by myself, I also asked for a good desk chair to help allivate back pain. Because I am on oxygen 24/7   due to COPD/Asthma and I use a Bipap , I need a house generator, since we lose power a lot here in Killeen Texas. so I asked for one, as well as a whole house filter, to fight my sevice connected allregies. My privacy fence is falling down, I have had it repaired over and over again, but its 20 years old, was here when we bough the house 9 years ago, so for security and safeity reasons asked for a new fence. The key to the remodeling and fence is that if it can be approved under the special adapted housing grant, it can be approved under the ILP program.  Ever remodeling and the fence are all allowed under the adapted housing grant.  I also asked them to replace my small power chair that I use in the home, my old chair is 20 years old, and my outdoor chair is too large to be used inside the home. I also asked for a good mattress to help with my back pain.  

Most guys seem to ask for mowers, and other high dollar stuff but those kinds of things do not improve the quality of life, and now are not allowed under the program, the rules specifically say this. 

I have no idea what I will get if anything, they may stretch this out for another 2 years, or I may actually get something that makes me more independant.  I tried to be reasonable, and only ask for things that are out of my price range.With the cost of living continuing to get worse, there is no way I can afford  most of the Items I asked for. Today, I watched from my wheelchair as my wife, paid $50 for 2/3 of a gas tank for my Chrysler wheelchair van. Its getting so that we have to really be frugal with our income.

If anyone can think of anything that might help me with my back injury, ,or breathing issues, let me know... as I ran out of ideas, but am open to anything that will help me allivate pain. I am on morphine now and even that does not mask all my pain, but that is Ok cause I know I am still alive. But I have to be really careful with the morphine because it can stop my breathing if I take too much.

Its nice  the the board is still going strong. and it appears that most of the old timers are still around...  Tbird did a great job back those many years ago.... 

Edited by Richard1954
Spelling and grammatical errors

4 answers to this question

• Founder

@Richard1954Sounds like you have really thought this out. I can't think of anything else, I'm sure others will jump in. I have been in the ILP program for a few years. They are trying to rewrite my plan to include a bathroom in the basement where my bedroom is. I have other things on there also a new computer chair and stuff like that. They have already provided me with Scooter, a lift chair recliner i can sleep in, they bought me a  really expensive desk but it didn't work out so we had to return it and i've asked for a different one to replace it. Some other stuff a step stool to get in and out of my Van, a locking prescription dosing dispenser and some other stuff. I am very hopeful about a bathroom for the basement, but it will be awhile before I hear anything on that.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would be happy if the VA would buy me a scooter since I have 40% rating on both feet.  I don't use the big VAMC because I can't walk half a mile to the hospital from the parking lot.  How do you apply for ILP program?

• Founder

Here's the link https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/how-to-apply/

It takes awhile and once you finish with the orientation video you'll usually speak to a counselor where you tell them you feel you are more suited for the ILP program. You will get frustrated, but hang in there.

Recently ( about a week ago) I received a va form for reinbursement for travel expenses, they asked me to sign and return it. This was for my travel cost to the regional office for ILP orientationi. Was pleasently surorised because I did not know anything about this.

Today, I received a VA Form: Request and authorization for supplies, that I was asked to sign. It was described as ILP assessment , cost $975.00.  I found this interesting, because having used this program and receiving nothing of value except a cheap computer in 2000, I  did not know anything about any ILP assessment. 

I have no idea what to expect. If you have any idea let me Know. I will continue to post information as time goes on if there is something noteworthy to discuss.