Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Help From A Vet. Rep.

Rate this question

tdak

Question

Hi again,

I was wondering if anyone knows how much information can a vet rep see in the computer. Not one from the VARO, but one from the American Legion. I know different people from the 800# look at different screens. I am talking about the Am. Legion rep who is helping you or filed the claim(s) for you. Do they or can they see any notes (if any at all) a rep from the 800# may have put in the computer?

Thanks!

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Odd -one of my former vet reps either called the RO or looked at his PC link to VA and immediately determined that a vet I had sent to him was a wannabee.

The vet had told me quite a story-

I mean wannabee in the sense that he was absolutely not eligible for VA care and a benefit claim wouldn't fly.

I guess he had some REALLY bad paper.

But another rep I had said he had NO contact whatsoever with the RO- yeah right- he was lying-too lazy to check on my claim-

Undertakers have a way to call,fax, or email the VA in a heartbeat to determine if a dead vet is really a vet.I know because I experienced this when my other vet husband died.

I forgot to bring his DD 214 to the funeral director.

They just checked it all with VA by phone.It took seconds.

You would think they (reps)were only all a click away from the VARO- they should be but I guess many are not-

• HadIt.com Elder

I was calling around the other day to my county rep and to the VA about my recent award of two new SC conditions. They told me nothing. I called the AL and he was able to tell me the date my conditions were SC'ed and the precentage instantly. Many other times the VA and other VSO's have refused or pretended not to be able to access the information and I know it is a lie. I just keep calling and asking and eventually someone spills the beans.

John999,

Too funny! I actually did the same thing, calling the 800#, but I gave a few days in between. I try to act like I have no clue and then tell then that another person gave me a date of such and such, then usually they change their story. :lol:

Tamara

I often used to advise getting a second opinion-

if you dont like the 800 response just call back a few hours later and maybe you will get something better-it will probably be different too-

One thing for sure I noticed though-

I was never told when an award had been made but the 800 Rep acted like I could expect the balloons from Readers Digest to show up- I mean they would be so upbeat and sound excited and tell me to expect a letter soon-

then the check would come but never the letter until a few days after-

Once I got a Very Big check -I thought however it was my Chap 35 refund so it just sat around for a few days until I opened it-and I called VA 3 times to see what it was for-

the rep- I got the same one each time I called and he knew me from my last claims in the 1990s-he just kept saying it was mine and to cash it-

but I was worried-

a weekend passed -still no letter- Monday I called 800 again and the same rep Jim -answered the phone again-

He bust out laughing when he heard my name-

I said Jim I spent that whole check at K Mart this weekend -so can you please tell me what it was for-

He sure laughed at that one too- and said the letter would soon come-

finally it did- the RC had granted one of my CUE claims-a claim I had forgotten about-

I had been very upset for over a week thinking this VA check was an error.

They have never told me by phone that specifically an award had been made.