VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed for disability July 2021

Rate this question

VeteranNadine

Question

I filed for disability in July 2021. My case has been stuck in pending decision since December 2021. I received one letter apologizing for the delay in Jan 2022. I filed for 10 conditions some for secondary and some for increase  and submitted a lot of evidence.  I figured the delay was because of that. 

Now I'm in a panic state that something is wrong with my claim since I've not heard anything since January.  Is it possible the delay is just due to the amount of stuff I have filed for and amount of evidence I submitted? I'm concerned I did something wrong.  My anxiety is really high about this.  

Is there anything I can do just to find out what's going on? Thanks.  

No. If we had to request some federal record or another as part of your claim it can take weeks to months right now. The various records repositories are still digging out of Covid backed up requests. The may also need a re-review of a DBQ/exam that was inadequate or the examiner didn't answer all the questions or have a sufficient opinion, do then the exam has to go back to the examiner- and they don't get paid for re-works so........I can't say it combative- I don't work in examinations or even for the VHA side of things- they are their own barrel of monkeys, and I try to just corral my own. 

There are lots of things that can cause it but 99% of it isn't you. Other than not filling out a form correctly or something- and in those cases we send the forms back to you to correct. 

49 minutes ago, VeteranNadine said:

Is there anything I can do just to find out what's going on? Thanks.  

Yes, you can call the 1 (800) 827-1000 Peggy number but this may or may not help. You can also file an ASK/INQUIRY to check the status of your current claim.  There could be many reasons, but you should try to keep checking on the status of your claim. Even if you get a generic letter stating, "WE ARE STILL WORKING ON YOUR CLAIM", you will know at least they are working on it and not sitting in a file cabinet. Claims are supposed to have suspense dates that need to be checked from time to time.

New Inquiry · Custom Portal (va.gov)

When a suspense expires for whatever reason a claim gets kicked out of the queue and into someone's workload, unless a received document of some kind comes in first, which triggers the same activity regardless of if there are suspense dates still pending. The phone people can't look at your whole claim, they aren't cleared for that but they can see the notes left on it by VSRs that have worked on it prior. 

No need to debate or try to correct my response, even calling the 1 800 no help Peggy could possibly update the veteran since the last time they were updated was in January, the same thing with filing an ASK/Inquiry could shed some updated insight of recent events. Just saying NO, offers nothing. This is June, there should have been some movement and if not, they can share that information.

I agree with the above, but will add my 2 cents.  Probably "the most reliable" source of status with your claim is found in your VBMS file, aka your efile.  

The only way to see your VBMS file is to get a VSO or attorney  with VBMS ACCESS, (NOT ALL OF THEM HAVE IT) and discuss this with your VSO or attorney.  

If you already have a VSO or attorney, call them and discuss it with them, of course.  

The VBMS file should be "the same file" your decision maker sees.  

For reasons which are unclear, "ask Peggy" and most other VA employees do not have access to your VBMS file.  

At my VAMC "they used to have" a single VARO employee who had access to VBMS and could answer questions.  I think his position has been eliminated.  

• HadIt.com Elder
On 6/11/2022 at 6:20 AM, broncovet said:

I agree with the above, but will add my 2 cents.  Probably "the most reliable" source of status with your claim is found in your VBMS file, aka your efile.  

The only way to see your VBMS file is to get a VSO or attorney  with VBMS ACCESS, (NOT ALL OF THEM HAVE IT) and discuss this with your VSO or attorney.  

If you already have a VSO or attorney, call them and discuss it with them, of course.  

The VBMS file should be "the same file" your decision maker sees.  

For reasons which are unclear, "ask Peggy" and most other VA employees do not have access to your VBMS file.  

At my VAMC "they used to have" a single VARO employee who had access to VBMS and could answer questions.  I think his position has been eliminated.  

I do not think the position has been eliminated.  Just was not available during COVID as unnecessary.  CBOC will not have one but I believe most VAMC have one, even small ones like Cheyenne, WY which I used in 2017 to find that my Decision from the BVA had been entered under someone else's name who had the same first name and last 4 as mine.  Took me an extra 6 months to get the 8 years back pay awarded then.