Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Active duty medical records

Rate this question

gangof4

Question

80% loss to records of  Army Personnel discharged between November 1912 to January 1960. An estimated 15% destroyed were IPTR.

75% loss of records of Air Force personnel discharged between September 1947 to January 1964. An estimated 10% destroyed were IPTR.

None of the destroyed records had duplicate copies made.

Source: US Congressional Delegation appointed by Richard Nixon, 1974.

When I retired in 1986 I was handed my active duty medical records as I was handed my walking papers at Fort Dix.

Back in my day they were still using microfich and data punch cards , we didn't have digitial records. 

I still have my original records,  my wife's, and children's as well.  Now they may have screwed up giving them to me, I don't know.

I do know that they make new medical record files when you go to  a medical hospital after you retire. I also carried them around with me when we moved from state to state. When I left Fort Bragg, after my forced retirement from civil service,  and moved to Texas, they would not let me have my records back. I was ticked! so from then on I made sure anytime I went to a military hospital , I got a copy of the record before I left the hospital. 

After the medical retirement from civil service in 1999., I started to scour my active duty records, looking for any thing I though I could claim. 

On my first claim to the VA, I gave the va an entire copy of my active duty records, as I filed out my VA paperwork at Fort Dix.

Edited by Richard1954

@Richard1954,

Same thing with me, I pretty much "walked" all my records from duty station to duty station.

I initially thought it was only we officers who totted along our own records and TA-50 when we PCSd, but found out pretty much everyone did.

Those were the days!

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

• HadIt.com Elder
24 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

80% loss to records of  Army Personnel discharged between November 1912 to January 1960. An estimated 15% destroyed were IPTR.

75% loss of records of Air Force personnel discharged between September 1947 to January 1964. An estimated 10% destroyed were IPTR.

None of the destroyed records had duplicate copies made.

Source: US Congressional Delegation appointed by Richard Nixon, 1974.

I was not aware any IPTR were lost. 

When we researched for Henry's IPTR they told us none of the IPTR were in the fire because they were stored in a different facility.  That was in 1994 for his 1968 Vietnam Hospitalization. 

Could be they were referring to Vietnam IPTR had not reached the file area of the fire or were being stored in a separate area after the 1964 date referenced in your quote.  Since it does not give an IPTR % following 1964, I would suggest it is possible all IPTR from 1965 are in a newer facility not affected by the fire.

It is obvious the incoming personnel files and OPTR medical records were in the fire from my own experience with Henry's file after his discharge in 1970 but his IPTR from 1968 were not.

On 6/10/2022 at 4:35 PM, gangof4 said:

When I retired, I received my medical records which were unfortunately lost.  How can the VA research what I was treated for while on active duty if the original records were lost while in my possession?

Records are sent to NPRC. I was a Personnel Technician and from what I am told, the process has not changed much. I know my records are at NPRC and I have requested a copy of mine through eBenefits records request portal. The form to request is SF 1080 and can be submitted electronically or through the snail mail. I have been told by NPRC it does take a while for my peronal copies to be sent. VA did basically the same thing through interagency processes and have received mine for my VA Disability Compensation  claim. 

I had to get my records from the National Archives. My first request got me a narrative summary not the complete records I had requested. I contacted my US Senator and his staff sent another request. Got more records but still not my complete files. Notably they lacked the records of my lengthy hospitalization. The third try with the Senators office got the rest of the records. Noteworthy my records with the VA for a period of several years after I was discharged magically disappeared. Fortunately I had enough to file my claims. Good Luck. If you don't get what you request keep trying and request assistance from your  senator or congressman.

Edited by FloridaNative