Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Active duty medical records

Rate this question

gangof4

Question

On 6/11/2022 at 4:41 AM, GBArmy said:

Dustoff is spot on. I tell veterans, even those active duty, to make copies of their med and other records. Even though records are supposed to all be available electronically, we all have seen how that doesn't work all the time. Make the extra effort and make copies. 

I always tell vets before they get out, get your medical records, take them to the VA, get them uploaded in the VA system, verify, make copies for their own records, returned the originals. You can not  clear medical section unless you have your medical records in their possession. We all know the military clearing process. All blocks must be cleared before you get your final release papers. 

Thats kinda what I did in 2002. I got in good with a few of the medical people and during my out-processing time when I wasn't going all over post for whatever I was at the Internet cafe making copies of everything I had in my own possession, along with them getting me the rest. Then I got home and thumbdrived it. I got out before IDES so I didn't meet with anyone from VA until some months later after I got home and settled. 

Also take note that a huge fire at the National Personnel Records Center in St Louis back in 1973 destroyed hundreds of thousands of mostly Army and Airforce records, including medical records.

Veterans who find out that their records were destroyed have other options; MOST VSO's know what these options are.

Also, when it comes to Compensation, the loss of medical records can favor the veteran.

See your local VSO, American Legion, Disabled American Veterans.., organizations for more information.

Allan 2-2-0 HOOAH!

• HadIt.com Elder
On 6/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, gangof4 said:

When I retired, I received my medical records which were unfortunately lost.  How can the VA research what I was treated for while on active duty if the original records were lost while in my possession?

Assuming you are referring to prior to digitalization time and that you had your hard copy military medical file. 

Sick Call records are gone unless you can find them.

Sick Call logs listing the basic of your complaint and the date and time are archived from all commands.  It will be necessary to request them from National Archives.  To find out the specific location, write to either the military branch or National Archives.

Obtain a copy of your personnel record from St. Louis, the same place that holds you DD214.  Page 13 will list your duty stations and the dates you served.  That will give you the dates to request copies of the Sick Call Logs to prove you were treated and what you were treated for.

It will also include the dates you were hospitalized under treatment.  You can obtain those full treatment records, which were only summarized in your hard copy medical record.  Even if you have your hard copy medical record but were hospitalized you need to get the "inpatient treatment records" (IPTR) because the summaries often minimize the injury or disease.  For example, victims of cerebral malaria have summaries of their rehabilitation treatment and nothing on their acute care treatment.  My TBI summary only mentioned treatment for unconsciousness prior to the military hospital treatment.  It did not state the severity of the TBI and summarized primarily a surgery done nearly a month later on my wrist.

My advice to all is to get all the records you can possibly think exist.  Keep in mind it is very difficult to obtain civilian hospital treatment records if you do not have the exact date and approximate time of admission and even more difficult after the 5-year retirement date.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just submitted requests for subpoenas of records thru the BVA to the Director of VARO LA for records that are proven to exist in my C&P file but have been ignored in FOIA request from me and AMIE request from the VA Benefits Division.  Will let you know on HADIT how that turns out.

38 C.F.R. § 2.2, delegates subpoena authority from the Secretary to Directors within 100 miles (limit of a subpoena) of the person or facility you need to subpoena records from.

• HadIt.com Elder

The St Louis fire did not destroy any IPTR.  OPTR (outpatient treatment records) and personnel files were either damaged or destroyed in the fire.  I helped a Vet with cerebral malaria history and grand mall seizure epilepsy subsequently get his records from the fire.  They were partially burned and severely water damaged.  The page 13 was readable and we were able to get his IPTR for his acute treatment contradicting the mildness of the Hospital Summary for his malaria treatment which only covered the dates of his 2 week rehabilitation camp following the acute IPTR period.