Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU question

Rate this question

capitan

Question

I have a TDIU claim active. 11 months ago I received a VA letter saying part of the claim is deferred. Then another letter saying they are working on my claim. I don't think they got the memo Leave No Man Behind. Does anybody know how long I will have to wait? Or if there is anyway to check and see what gives?  I am 77 with some medical issues. USMC combat Vietnam vet.

Edited by capitan

Given your age, my recommendation is to ask for an "advance on the docket".  While this applies to BVA cases, it may help you also.  

THe status on your claim can be determined if you have VBMS access.  You dont.  To get VBMS access, contact a VSO and ask, "Do you have VBMS Access?"  Some do, while others have not jumped through the required hoops to get VBMS access.  

Then ask your VSO.  

We dont know what the holdup is, and giving you a number on "how long it will take", is like guessing the stock market, or picking the lottery numbers.  Nobody really knows.

VBMS is the software used by the VA to manage Veteran claims.  If your VSO (organization) has an office at the regional office building, they usually have VBMS access.  If you live near a regional office, you can set up an appointment with the Public Contact Team at the regional office - some don't have walk-in hours yet because of COVID.  Specifically, you need to ask the VSO to look at the active claim and see if there are any "tracked items" pending.  These are used to track pending development.  For instance, IU claims require that forms are sent to previous employers.  You should have been sent a development letter requesting that you fill out the top portion with the employer information of the VA Form 21-4192.  I'm putting in a link to the M21-1 Manual that describes the required development for IU claims.  If you have questions, I might be able to answer them.  I can't look up your claim though - illegal for me to do that.  https://www.knowva.ebenefits.va.gov/system/templates/selfservice/va_ssnew/help/customer/locale/en-US/portal/554400000001018/content/554400000177475/M21-1,-Part-VIII,-Subpart-iv,-Chapter-3,-Section-B---Individual-Unemployability-(IU)-Claims-Development

Phury

Edited by Phury & Rhage
add link

This is Phury again.  I mentioned the Public Contact Team because the folks who work there are experience VA employees.  As far as I know, they can tell you if there is any pending development on your claim.  They know what they are looking for when they look at your claim in VBMS.  I'm not certain that all VSOs know the ins and outs as well as the VA employees.

Phury