Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need to retain an attorney for back pay-- best references?

Rate this question

Wanderer

Question

My cognitive problems will not allow me to do this solo. Where should I look for competent attorneys who do not charge too high of a contingency fee? I aim to get compensated from the date of my first disability claim denial 24 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

I first read about Dr. Anaise from many references on this Hadit forum from many vets and he has enriched me many times over and no rip off artist unlike some medical experts.  Thanks, Hadit!!!!!

Here is Anaise website.  He has helped many many vets like me for over 30 years before both the BVA, CAVC and Federal Court of Appeals D.C. Circuit.

https://www.danaise.com/

Law firm of Ken Carpenter LLC or Carpenter LLC has provided many precedent favorable CAVC court cases for vets for well over 30 years. 

Another great source of veterans' attorney list.  National Association of Veterans Advocates.

https://www.facebook.com/105893908788750/photos/a.105904565454351/106707185374089/

Edited by Dustoff 11

Where have I been?  Well, I drove from Ohio to Arizona, and to California, and Nevada.  

I bought a 2022 Camry Hybrid LE which gets 52 miles per gallon. I actually get better than the EPA advertised 52, somethimes 56, and once as high as 58.   So, I went to see my brother, my sister, as well as other friends and family.  Then, I went to Tennesse to help advise my son, who is building a home.  Finally, I went to Iowa to see my daughter.  

Been through what you are trying to do.  I got denied in 1993 due to not finding records.  Found my records in 2017 and refiled for the claim denied in 93.  Got approved at 10%.  Filed a NOD within the year and got the claim approved at 80%.  I called CCK to see if they would take my case for back pay to 93.  They did.  Unfortunately they were only able to get back pay from 93 on the initial 10%.  I'm not sure why not the 80%.  The claimed condition did not get worse or progress further.  It was for scarring.  Scarring doesn't get worse over time.  At least mine didn't.  The damage was done before discharge.

CCK didn't explain why not go for the 80%.  I mean we're talking like several hundred thousands of dollars.  They settled for the 10% for like $30k.  I just assume they know what they are doing since they are one of the big dogs suggested here.  Why would they not go for the big prize.

El Train sounds like as to your case, you should have been awarded 10% for the scar you had in 93. 2017,you had refiled scar and added other claims which had increased you to 80%.  CCK could only fight the scar claim for an eed which was 93. Is this correct?

As far as I know, the max for a scar from surgery is 10. I could be wrong. 

Sometimes attorneys like to pick "low hanging fruit".  Just pick the apple thats easy to reach, dont climb on a ladder to get that one apple way up there.  

The earlier effective date may have been low hanging fruit, and easy to win.  However, they may not have wanted to get a ladder and risk falling out of the tree, to get your 80%.  I dont know, I have not reviewed your file.  

It may be worth it to climb that tree, but that is rarely done for just one apple.  If there is a whole bushel of apples, well, go get the ladder.  

16 hours ago, Whodat said:

El Train sounds like as to your case, you should have been awarded 10% for the scar you had in 93. 2017,you had refiled scar and added other claims which had increased you to 80%.  CCK could only fight the scar claim for an eed which was 93. Is this correct?

As far as I know, the max for a scar from surgery is 10. I could be wrong. 

No, the scars were 80% alone without other claims (burn victim level scarring).  They were the same when I got out in 93.  No better, no worse.  I'm not sure I want to mess with it and have my overall rating put under a microscope.  I pm'd a well known lawyer and it didn't sound like it was something he wanted to get involved in.  Something about a CUE being a high bar to hurdle.  Maybe in the future when I've had my rating for awhile.  IDK.