Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Rating is Expected for High Blood Pressure? (New Agent Orange Presumptive Illness)

Rate this question

Max Rommel

Question

The Pact Act has expanded the list of Agent Orange presumptive illnesses to include high blood pressure, aka hypertension. My assumption is that many, if not most surviving Vietnam veterans have this medical condition. Does anyone have an idea what disability rating the VA will give to vets with high blood pressure who take one or more meds to treat it?

My high blood pressure was diagnosed about seven years after my discharge and I have been taking meds for it ever since (45 years). My diastolic was initially over 100 but it has been well controlled (under 100) for many, many years. Most of the doctors who treated me over the years are now dead or retired. Interestingly, I was first treated for high blood pressure in the 70s at the VA (Wadsworth) hospital in Los Angeles. I recently had them search for my records but they couldn't locate them. "Too long ago" they said. We'll see how this plays out with the VA. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Here's what the Pact act says about Agent Orange related Hypertension and retro payments:

2) HYPERTENSION.—

(A) IN GENERAL.—The amendment made by subsection (c) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act and shall apply as follows: (i) On the date of the enactment of this Act for claimants for dependency and indemnity compensation under chapter 13 of title 38, United States Code, and for veterans whom the Secretary of Veterans Affairs determines are— (I) terminally ill; (II) homeless; (III) under extreme financial hardship; (IV) more than 85 years old; or (V) capable of demonstrating other sufficient cause. (ii) On October 1, 2026, for everyone not described in subparagraph (A).

(B) RETROACTIVE APPLICATION.—Notwithstanding any Federal court decisions or settlements in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall award retroactive claims for a condition under section 1116(a)(2)(M) of title 38, United States Code, as added by subsection (c) of this section, only to claimants for dependency and indemnity compensation under chapter 13 of such title described in subparagraph (A)(i) of this paragraph.

I was denied SC for hypertension in 2011. The PACT Act adding it to Agent Orange list will make it SC. I reapplied the first of October and was impressed with the fast response from OTC (VA Contractors) and had my C&P exam on 10-17-2022.  I went thru the Nehmers review when IHD was added and was thinking my effective date would be backdated. But as good as the PACT Act is, our great politicians threw in so many restrictions. The bottom-line is effective date will be 10-1-2026, no back payments. 

Try not to be discouraged. If you are a Vietnam Vet apply or reapply now and then forget about it and enjoy life. As always with the VA, "The checks in the mail".

This is yet another stinking GD insult to Vietnam veterans by worthless politicians playing cute with our disability benefits by delaying actual award and paying of compensation for 4 years.  I am already P&T 100% with SMC-S so this has no effect on me but there are many other Nam vets that could use this benefit before they/we all die.  Have no sympathy for hypocritical cowardly politicians or beaurcrats.  Most are

• HadIt.com Elder

No compensation for HTN AO vets for 4 years?  Most of us will probably be dead by then.  I think average age for RVN vets is 75. If they have high blood and other conditions I would not take odds that they will live another 4-5 years.  The VA is just going to cheat us as usual.  I have HTN, DMII and CAD. l am surprised every morning that I am still alive.

16 minutes ago, john999 said:

No compensation for HTN AO vets for 4 years?  Most of us will probably be dead by then.  I think average age for RVN vets is 75. If they have high blood and other conditions I would not take odds that they will live another 4-5 years.  The VA is just going to cheat us as usual.  I have HTN, DMII and CAD. l am surprised every morning that I am still alive.

This is a congressional thing, not a VA thing. Congress sets the budge. VA can't pay if there is no money. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)