Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking for information on DOEHRS

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

I have been slowly scanning through my personnel file and I found a page that says DOEHRS was accessed to find my military hearing tests. my 97, 98 and 00 hearing tests showing my hearing loss. Note, I am 70% hearing loss connected now anyways but my medical records have been lost since I've been out. I send in a request for them every other year hoping to find them. Very weird. I wonder how they have those but they cannot find them for me? Anyone else have that issue? 

Army 97-00 and Guard from 00 - 01. Not wicked old

I always recommend getting medical records from the facilities that treated you directly.  Yea, it seems like its more trouble contacting each place where you were stationed with applicable medical records.  

However, the medical records place at your duty station "does not have a dog in the fight".  That means if you have evidence of service connection in your file, it wont cost that medical center a penny to send you your records.  

But, with VA, if they retrieve your records, remember there is a financial incentive for VA to lose/destroy/misfile your key medical evidence, because that is an easy denial saving VA many years of payments to Veterans.  

In the "real world" it never happens when you put your opponent at law in charge of your records.  Why that is just silly.  The Va gets away with it by alleging they are a "pro claimant" system, while we know that is often  just not true.  

I feel that is what happened. I found 2 pieces of paper with info on them from Gunthrie Medical center at Ft. Drum in my personnel file last week and I was unbelievably surprised by them. I don't know what to do with them but so far in over 20 years that's the closest I have come to my service medical records. Its sad that I am excited about 2 pages of medical records talking about a stubbed toe on a horseshoe pin lol!

This is a horrible take on the process for multiple reasons.  They VA does not go through the file sent from St. Louis to remove pages of medical documents.  The VA is not an opponent.  

55 minutes ago, broncovet said:

I always recommend getting medical records from the facilities that treated you directly.  Yea, it seems like its more trouble contacting each place where you were stationed with applicable medical records.  

However, the medical records place at your duty station "does not have a dog in the fight".  That means if you have evidence of service connection in your file, it wont cost that medical center a penny to send you your records.  

But, with VA, if they retrieve your records, remember there is a financial incentive for VA to lose/destroy/misfile your key medical evidence, because that is an easy denial saving VA many years of payments to Veterans.  

In the "real world" it never happens when you put your opponent at law in charge of your records.  Why that is just silly.  The Va gets away with it by alleging they are a "pro claimant" system, while we know that is often  just not true.  

• Community Owner
On 8/24/2022 at 8:39 AM, asdf said:

This is a horrible take on the process for multiple reasons.  They VA does not go through the file sent from St. Louis to remove pages of medical documents.  The VA is not an opponent.  

I don't know where you got that from but by me 43 year experience it an adversarial process and if you don't treat it as such you will lose

The St. Louis intake is not made up of VSRs or raters, or anyone authorized beyond scanning in documents and sending them back out again. They could read every single thing that passed by their eyes and not do anything to act on it. They aren't in direct or even indirect communication with any of us- If they upload a scan of a CD sent to them (a literal CD- that they can't process, by the way) I can't even email them to see what it originally was, all I can do is mail/call YOU and say "Hey, whatever was on that CD you sent- none of it is in your file, because intake can't read/process CD-Rs that are sent to them". You end up with a scanned picture of a CD in your Efolder. Bit ridiculous- yes, but i'm using it as an example. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)