Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gunsmoke! James Arness is a disabled Veteran!

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Many people's favorite, Marshall Dillon on Gunsmoke, is a disabled Veteran.  

This is what it says:

James Arness' War Service

https://sm-img.instaimgs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/11114132/Gunsmoke_JamesArness1.jpg?tr=dpr-3,fo-auto,ar-,w-1000
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

James Arness was drafted into World War II in 1943. He trained at Camp Wheeler, Georgia, and was then shipped to North Africa and assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division for the invasion of Anzio. Arness was severely wounded 10 days after the invasion by machine gun fire that forced amputation of part of his foot. He was medically discharged from the Army and received a Bronze Star, Purple Heart, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze stars, a World War II victory medal, and the Combat Infantryman Badge.

Unfortunately, Marshall Dillion had "his last gunfight" in June, 2011, so he wont be joining hadit.  

Gee, I wonder if Gary Sinese would join hadit?

5 answers to this question

Sinese isn't a veteran, though, but for all the work he does for them, why not? Separate membership tier, invite only maybe

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

I did not know Gary Sinese was not a Vet..but I have heard he helps Vets.  Im pretty sure Tbird allows "Veterans advocates" to join, tho.  And he is a well known Veterans advocate.  

Matthew Hill (Hill and Ponton), for example, has answered Vets questions here, but it has been quite a while.  Im not sure if Matthew Hill is a Vet or not.

I personally know the actor, Luke Grimes on "Yellowstone".  Maybe he would join hadit?  Or, maybe some of you know a famous person, who is a Vet who may join?

I thank Arness for his service and sacrifice but never liked the Gunsmoke series.  Too much very slow drawn out talking and heavy faces and plain unreal bad acting.  This is also true of many other TV series then and even today.  Too many scenes shot inside a studio stage and not outdoor locations. fake, fake, fake

Movies are my favorite over TV series.  I do like anything filmed in Hawaii because of the many scenic shots and action such as classic 5-0 and classic Magnum.  Classic Miami Vice again for the scenic shots and fast action.

Edited by Dustoff1970

• HadIt.com Elder

I think Arness has been dead for years.  You are not hurting his feelings these days.  Even Miss Kitty is long dead. I don't know about Festus and Doc but I think they are dead too. All the people on TV in the 50's are probably dead now.  That is sad because but this is how the cookie crumbles.