Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CHAMP VA

Rate this question

SBU-12-RM

Question

Hello there, 

I have been a member of Hadit for years and I can honestly say without this site my journey to finally getting my 100% p&t would have been much longer and more difficult.

Last week when I logged in to check the status of my claim I literally got tears in my eyes...100% p&t, I knew what that meant for my family, what that meant for our future and I am soo thankful and humbled by this recent rating. 

Now being in the world of 100% I have so many questions like:

• My family gets CHAMPVA so does this mean they can go to any Dr that accepts CHAMPVA?
  • Can I do the same thing? I currently have insurance provided thru work but does that mean I keep that, drop that and just use CHAMPVA?
  • I can now go on base but how do I set that up? Can I bring my family on base also?
  • Looks like I can fly Space A along with my dependents, how do I start that process?
  • Lastly, I have a BS can I use Chapter 35 to go on and get my MA?

Thanks for any feedback, 

So very thankful, 

RR

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

CHAMP VA- Yes, family, you, no.

BS to MA- maybe, via Voc rehab (Chapter 31), but you have to want to be employable for Voc, AND you have to explain/show why your BS makes you unemployable IN THE CONTEXT of your current disabilities. You can't climb the ladder with Voc. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations on your win!

I will try to help with your questions:

9 minutes ago, SBU-12-RM said:

My family gets CHAMPVA so does this mean they can go to any Dr that accepts CHAMPVA?

Pretty much, but keep in mind that "accepting" CHAMPVA and being in the CHAMPVA network are two different things. You can call the CHAMPVA hotline and they can answer your questions: https://www.va.gov/communitycare/programs/dependents/champva/index.asp

11 minutes ago, SBU-12-RM said:

Can I do the same thing? I currently have insurance provided thru work but does that mean I keep that, drop that and just use CHAMPVA?

No, unfortunately it is only for dependents, not the veteran sponsor.

14 minutes ago, SBU-12-RM said:

I can now go on base but how do I set that up? Can I bring my family on base also?

Look up the DEERS nearest to you. Be sure to call and ask if they provide ID cards. You and your dependents can get them, so they can also go on base.

15 minutes ago, SBU-12-RM said:

Looks like I can fly Space A along with my dependents, how do I start that process?

I do not know much about Space A travel, but I assume once you have an ID card in hand, you can try it. Not certain about your dependents though..

12 minutes ago, SBU-12-RM said:

Lastly, I have a BS can I use Chapter 35 to go on and get my MA?

Like CHAMPVA, Chapter 35 is only for your dependents. Look into Voc Rehab about educational options. If you are unable to work due to your SC disabilities, look into Voc Rehab's independent living program for further benefits.

Be sure to also check with your state about any additional benefits. Some states provide extra benefits to the veteran and/or their dependents.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Congratulations!

Its been my experience Champva is the BEst insurance money cant buy.  (You only get it for your family when the Vet gets disabled 100 percent p and t).  

It combines very well with other insurance, such as medicare, medicare advantage or other health insurance programs.  

Often its very similar to Tricare.  Similar enough if you look up tricare, it probably applies to Champva.  Tricare is for retired military families.  

I have champva, and my wife pays "near nothing" for insurance, copays, deductables, etc.  

Exception:  It was a mistake to take out medicare advantage prescription plan.  Reason:  Champva wont cover prescriptions if you have other prescription coverage.  So, we cancelled the medicare advantage prescription plan (saving money) and get "meds by mail" from Champva with no cost and no deductable. 

With the medicare advantage plan, she was supposed to pay $150 per month for just one medication in copay/deductable.  We dropped the medicare prescription coverage and pay zero with champva.  

There is a lot on hadit for extra benefits to 100 percent p and t vets.  You need to look into it.  Example: your state may waive all or some of your property taxes.  That is a big deal if you are a homeowner.  

Check your state benefits.  

• Adminstrator

My wife is on CHAMPVA with the suplimental and she loves it.  I think we pay the small fee each month for the supplimental, but then they send us checks for everything byond the $300 payment.  

She just had a $7000 procedure and we paid the $300 and now they are sending her checks for any meds or anything they are not just paying for.  

2 hours ago, SBU-12-RM said:
  • Lastly, I have a BS can I use Chapter 35 to go on and get my MA?

As stated, CH 35 is for dependents and CH 31 is for the veteran. CH 31 Voc. Rehab is pretty much for helping veterans get and or keep a job and not for helping veterans finish their degrees. The sole goal of Voc. Rehab is to help try to rehabilitate the veteran back to employment. Being rated 100% P & T, if you are rated schedular, you can continue to work but if you are rated unemployable TDIU, you can continue to work but you take the risk of being re-evaluated, TDIU is for veterans that cannot work due to their service-connected disabilities and not for veterans that can't find the right job. 

Being rated 100% P & T, you may want to consider filing for SSDI. The thing about being rated 100% P & T meaning that your health is most likely not going to get better, and you should consider getting your SSDI now compared to waiting for it later. With SSDI it is not really about can you get a job; I think most veterans can/could, but can you keep and maintain that same position/job until retirement age?

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.