Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looks like more exams for me

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

Well looks my supplemental information has made it through with my Drs. IMO. Just got the email stating that VES will be reaching out to set up an exam. Last time I had 3 exams all out of state and 1 hour to 2 hours away. 2 were to the same doctor and they had no idea why I was back. Can't wait to see how this one goes. I'm sure i'll have the White House line on speed dial again.  

Well after 4 C&P exams and like 14 months I got denied for Secondary sleep apnea. They gave me a 4 page decision letter so I need to read it like 8 more times to try and figure it out. I'm going to start looking for law help and figure out if i want to try HLR before appeal or just jump right in. Hoping a good lawyer can help with that. Any recommendations would be appreciated as well. Thanks

You can appeal a cpap denial (from the VARO) using your dav guy as your rep, at no cost.  Its my humble opinion it may be too early to hire an attorney, but it sounds like you are hard of hearing, like myself, and that makes things "especially difficult".  Probably the worst is VA calls me, or tells me to call them, even tho Im compensated for hearing loss, so they know it, and even suggests I attend "hearings".   

Sometimes, I want to shake VA and say:  Dont tell me to call you.  Im hard of hearing.  Give me your caption call number, accept my emails, or texts, etc.   Repeated requests to communicate by email, are mostly ignored by VA, and almost all other companies as well.  

If your communication problems are from hearing loss, and especially if this hearing loss had to do with the military, then apply for hearing loss comp, if you have not already.  

Your hearing will be tested, and my VAMC's audiology department is very good.  Its the best department at my va, easily.  

The audiologists at my VAMC are all caring, do their absolute best at fitting/cleaning/maintaining/providing not only hearing aids, but wax guards, batteries, caption phones, and other stuff that may help you compensate for your hearing loss.  You just have to ask, and tell them what you need.  They dont read minds.  They sent me a "caption phone" and a doorbell light, for example, as I dont always hear the doorbell.  They also fitted me with hearing aids, and if I have any trouble with them, they mostly fix me up pronto.  

Now, back to your cpap denial.  When you read your decision go to the page which says, "Reasons and bases for denial", then lists those.  In your appeal, you are gonna try to refute that statment(s), mostly with medical evidence to the contrary.  

Lets use an example, which may or may not apply to you.  You have PTSD, and the VA says you also need a cpap.  Many doctors will provide a nexus letter which links PTSD with sleeping disorders including Sleep apnea.  If they write a "nexus letter" stating something like "your obstructive sleep apnea" is at least as likely as not due to your PTSD from the military.  

You should be able to appeal this, arguing your cpap is needed secondary to PTSD, and cite that doc's opinion as evidence.  I recommend appealing to the VA.   A HLR is not recommended becasue HLR does not permit "new evidence" and instead relies on the old evidence VA has, and you probably have no idea how much, if any evidence the VA already has.  

If you post your reasons for denial (dont use your name or address) hadit volunteers may be able to guide you on your appeal, such as what to say to refute the reasons.  

Bronco, yes I am in the same boat with VA always asking me to call. I am 70% for hearing loss which is quite a bit. I have the hearing aids, caption phone and all the accessories. I have a CPAP and I use it every night. I can't upload the letter because it says file too big

You can try a couple other things.  

You may be able to shrink the file size, such as by "zipping" it.  Your software may have ways of shrinking file size.  This is often very large, to accomodate pictures.  .pdf files upload and download well, usually, so you may be able to "save" this file as a .pdf file then try uploading it again.  

Or, just copy it and mail it in.  Your VSO should be able to help you here, such as paying for the copies, in his office.  

Finally, as I mentioned in other posts, probably the fastest way to get a copy of your medical exam is to go to your VAMC "release of information" office.  AT my VAMC, I can get "a few pages" of my records in minutes, but if I want the whole thing, it takes much much longer.  Its been a while since I did this, and I do know that many times the file is burned to a dvd, and you can view this on your computer if you have a dvd reader, or, you may be be able to convert a dvd to a jump drive, most computers will handle USB (jump) drives.