Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea question

Rate this question

capitan

Question

This from Woods and Woods law firm:  it is important to note that there is no documented case of a veteran losing benefits because they didn’t use their CPAP machine.

Is Your CPAP Machine Tracking You? 

Many veterans may worry their CPAP machine is tracking whether they use it or not. Many CPAP machines indeed have smart computer chips in them that keep up to twelve months of data. Some machines even have an attachable modem or are wireless-enabled for data transmission.

In most cases, the VA does not use this data to track whether you use your CPAP machine or not. Instead, your doctor will use this data to check if the settings on your CPAP machine are working for you or if it needs adjustment. What your insurance company may be looking for, however, is a different question.

Will You Lose VA Benefits?

The short answer to whether you’ll lose VA benefits if you don’t use your CPAP machine is no. The VA will not track your compliance, and they will not revoke your disability benefits if you don’t use your machine. However, it is important to use your CPAP machine as prescribed so you can get the best results possible.

• HadIt.com Elder

The device is called "The Inspire stimulator".  I have one implanted.  It is complicated to an extend and I am not sure Medicare pays for it. The VA does them at certain hospitals.  Just look up "Inspire OSA" and that should give you info.  Mine is better than nothing. I could never tolerate the mask.  I tried for years.

• Community Owner

I am a full mask guy.. I breath through my mouth at night. It makes a big difference when I cant use it. If you are far enough from the VA hospital you could make the send you to Community Care that way its not going directly to the VA. 

I stand corrected.  Woods and Woods law firm is reputable, and they know more than I do.  IF they say so, then you should follow their advice not mine.  

I forget the football players name who had bad apnea, fell asleep and did not wake up.  

Its real.  

I use my cpap every nite.  Without question it saved my life.  I was diagnosed with apnea FIRST by a cardiologist..he knew an enlarged right side of the heart was sleep apnea damage to  the heart.  

He explained the right side of your heart supplies O2 to the lungs.  And, it enlarges if you stop breathing constantly at night, as your o2 level drops the heart tries to compensate. 

Continued non use of the cpap causes the right side of the heart to continue to enlarge, and the heart becomes "unbalanced" often creating afib over time.  

And continued lack of O2 at nite, with afib, can cause sudden death or, damage the heart beyond repair.  

My cardiologist explained he cant make me get apnea treated, but it would likely cause premature death if untreated.  

I decided to get a sleep study, and sure enough, I had apnea.  No suprise to the cardiologist.  So, I treated it with a cpap, per sleep doc order.  It was a struggle at first to get used to it, but worth it.

No, I dont get compensated for OSA.  Its a long story, but its moot as I already have 100 percent plus smc S, so I decided not to appeal..I dont fight VA "for funsies".  If I have nothing to gain, then let another Vet benefits get done in my place.  VA has limited resources, a limited number of people, and lots of Vets seeking benefits.  

I was just recently granted TDIU 100% P&T. The letter says the reason was because, as I claimed, cancer residuals left me too tired and weak to work. They raised my 30% which was already granted for fatigue and daytime sleepiness to 50%. So it looks to me like they granted TDIU for something I already had.  I assume I will be getting a notice to see a doc about cpap. And find out severity and which kind and recommended treatment. I'm still not sure I even have it. When I took the home sleep study, the nasal attachment part of the machine wasn't working. Tried it the next night, still not working..called and they said send it anyway, it probably has all they need for diagnosis. I don't have any trouble breathing or sleeping. But I might have if I have to wear a cpap mask. Bottom line, I will do what I have to to keep the money. Maybe I won't have to do anything.