VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So Joint

Rate this question

Ken Dillon

Question

I am currently rated at 40 percent for lumbar fusion, so my question I was diagnosed SI joint arthritis currently taking injections. Is the rating different that a back problem. Thanks Ken

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

No, sacroilliac is the name of the joint(s) in the low back. Radiculopathy is symptom of low back issues that sometimes happens when nerves are pinched or aggravated, resulting in sciatica, radiculopathy, neuropathy- docs call it different things. Generally you can trace the numbness and pain down different bands in your back, buttocks, and legs, like a like the curves from back to front. Google sciatica nerve pathways and you'll learn more than you probably want to know about that aspect. 

radiculopathy, neuropathy well I see some case we're this rate on it's own

An  veterans are also rated for strain fusion etc. Also 

Like in my case I was rated cervical spondylosis. 60%

First VA stated  this rating code 5293 includes all Nerve damage to not rated  my radiculopathy.

Got it remand by the cavc back to bva. 2 years ago and they refuse to address it again 

Just got it remand by the court 2nd time.

So if you have document's show it I would apply. 

Could raise your rating if they address it right.

Look up 

Look up case on radiculopathy, neuropathy on the bva web site to see if veterans are also been rated for both.

Yes, they are rated separately. That changed in the later 2000s. I was rated initially under the combined standard in 2002 and then they changed it a few years later and I then had two separate ratings. 

Back problems in general fall under 38CFR Book C 4.71a, this includes range of motion (or lack thereof) from spinal fusions, and pain.

Radiculopathy is a separate condition that is rated under "incomplete paralysis of sciatic nerve",  or can be rated under neuralgia/Neuritis Dx code 85,86,8720, and a few others, generally under "Peripheral Nerves" in 38CFR 4.124a. You can be rated bilaterally (meaning bilateral factor applies- it bumps up your percentage just a bit) also.