Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am just so tired

Rate this question

Whodat

Question

I never knew that it would be so much red tape to file for a VA claim.

A young healthy 18 year old that wanted to join the military, passed the physical with flying colors. Wanted to make my parents proud of my foe my accomplishments. Esp my dad because he did over 25 years active Air Force.

Drill Sergeants are your first and everlasting impression. I know because I was one. The last thing that you want to do is piss a DI off. Never complained of anything to include pain. 

Get to my first duty station, the brain washing still continues. If you are dedicated, you will not complain. If you complain, Chapter is thrown in your face. My days in service, if you didn't cut it, you could face QMP. Do your job, don't go to sick call and your job and you will be just fine.

All of the years of physical and mental abuse to your body, vets file a claim. What do VA do, deny. 

I think that VA has put more stress on vets with the claim process that we should be compensated just for the stress from the VA. Look at Mr Cue and others, years of fighting and stress has taken some time off of their life.

I am so tired.

You are so right john999. Getting to a hundred is very challenging for our vets that deserves the hundred. This is why some of our great vets give up quick. The VA does realize what they are doing to our great vets but isn't really too concerned.

I am trying my best to hang in there but this long battle is putting me into depression.

It could be worse. It could have been that you didn't serve at all, and therefore have no hope of filing or winning a claim for whatever ails you. I fought them for seventeen years and it was worth it.

The longer and more difficult the race, the more enjoyment it is to win it.  

Few will "clap their hands" when we make it to the bathroom, but its mighty impressive to make it to Mars.  

Yea, it took me 17 years also, but it was worth it. Persistence wins when giving up does not.  

22 minutes ago, jamescripps2 said:

It could be worse. It could have been that you didn't serve at all, and therefore have no hope of filing or winning a claim for whatever ails you. I fought them for seventeen years and it was worth it.

So true but why would I file a claim if I didn't serve. I served for 21 years and led from the front. NCO's are the backbone of the army. Never went on sick call, only did self treatment. Now my backbone is failing. So I guess I will have to fight for another 21 years to prove that it was caused by the military.  

5 minutes ago, broncovet said:

The longer and more difficult the race, the more enjoyment it is to win it.  

Few will "clap their hands" when we make it to the bathroom, but its mighty impressive to make it to Mars.  

Yea, it took me 17 years also, but it was worth it. Persistence wins when giving up does not.  

Thank you Bronco for those encouraging words. I have been in the battle for 5 years and it depresses me but I will hang in there. It make take 17 years, I might get a little enjoyment for the reward but being that my wife is 13 years younger than me, she will get more joy. Lol

I’m sorry to hear about your struggles. It does feel like they don’t really care about us. Since you don’t have much in-service medical evidence, check your medical records within 12 months after your date of separation.

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/illnesses-within-one-year-of-discharge/

You can also try scouring you emails, letters, diaries, your military personnel records, and statements from buddies and family.

As an example, after 30 years of denials, I went through every scrap of paper I had from the military. I found two hand-written quarterly performance reports that they use to write the annual performance reports that had been inserted into my training file, which they gave me to hand carry to my final assignment. I never turned them in. These were the key to my service-connection because they showed clear changes in behavior and were dated and signed.

Another kind of evidence required, is a current diagnosis and evidence that you’ve been seeking treatment for the condition. So, you can see, the evidence you submit should tell the full story.

Look for clues in your denial letters. They almost always tell you what evidence you provided that is beneficial, then often will let you know what evidence is missing. 

I have spent hours and hours reading at VA.gov and every second of it was worth it when I was finally service-connected. It felt like a huge weight lifted and I was finally vindicated. 

Most of all, don’t give up!