VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Payment

Rate this question

erax

Question

This is a two part question. I'm 100% P-n-T

First I lived with my parents for 4 years when I was critally sick and bed-ridden. Is there compensation for them during that time period.

next my daughter starts college next Fall semester.If she lives with me while attenting college is there any extra compensation beside the living allowance. Also,what all does the chapter 35 pay for. I HEARD THAT THEY DONT PAY FOR classes, BOOKS ect....

USMC

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Philip I need to clarify this:

"Chapter 35 currently pays a stipend of $860 a month, for a full-time student, while attending school. Just the flat rate, no extras. Student can use it for books, tuition, living expenses, lottery, beer, gas, whatever."

jmo

I mean the figures look correct-but it isnt a stipend -it is a refund-of tuition already paid.

I commend hooking up with the college VA counselor as well as the VA education dept (they have email )

this way I could send the school VA counselor my course info and that I paid my tuition and send a CC to VA educ Dept at same time-

The VA divides the tuition amount by the length of the course and this is how they base the refunded payments.

I get a book grant from the United States Marine Corps.A student should seek getting some sort of grant like this- depends on school- I am in a military school- but I am sure there are other book grant programs.

Cavman the VA has paid maybe close to that under Chap 35 for me already-

My daughter is getting her Masters at my school under Chap 35-

that will be over the price you quoted I am sure-

It is a Wonderful benefit.

Berta, an you clarify this and show me somewhere where it states this.

You stated "I mean the figures look correct-but it isnt a stipend -it is a refund-of tuition already paid."

So if you get a scholarship the VA doesn't pay?? Or if you go to an inexpensive community college, where your tuition is only $2k, for the year, you only get about $225 a month? That makes no sense. Are you sure you're talking Chapter 35, full-time? The rate chart shows what they pay, period, doesn't say anything about any offsets. Something doesn't sound right! jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder
When I went to college under the Chspter 35 program they paid for books and lab material.So from I gather this no longer applies?

Also while my daughter lives with me while going to school do I receive any extra compensation?

I thought Social Secuity paid while they still lived at home till they were the age of 22 and living at home and going to school any input is welcome to help me get all my ducks in a row..:~)

Eric

USMC

100% P&T

erax, are you sure it was Chapter 35 and not Chapter 31? You received the benefit due to a parent or spouse being a 100% SC P&T disabled vet or having died as a result of those SC disabilities?? I think died while on active duty is also receives benefit but I'm not positive.

Social security used to pay until age 22 but I believe that stopped back in the mid 80's.

pr

Right- SSA pays dependent due to disability of parent until age 18- IF they are still in school and the parent-if they get SSA as dependent of disabled person- gets it up to the child's age of 16.

This is why parents have the REPS benefit in the event of death due to service.

REPS is part of any DIC application and if a child or chilren are under 18 at time of the veteran's death and the spouse taking care of them loses their SSA due to the child turning 16- (Omnibus Reconciliation Act)

VA will send the REPS people the REPS application which generates- if all conditions are met-

two additional years of SSA at the rates at time of death to the parent.

REPS is the Restored Entitlement Program, a SSA program but the tie in is a direct SC death award from the VA.

Chap 31- yes- different than Chap 35-

Chap 31 paid ALL of my husband's tuition, books, etc-

and sent him a stipend every month along with his SSA check.

He was disabled vetso he got Chap 31 (Voc Rehab)

I am a civilian -I get Chap 35- meaning I had to pay my tuition before each semester and then the VA reimbursd me.

My daughter is getting Chap 35 -it is already set up for her Masters at the same school I attend.

She has GI Bill too- can only use one or the other-

As child of 100% P & T SC vet she got Chap 35-they extended her limiting dates by 7 years -her military service period -

I hope that no one out there overlooks that if a child as dependent had Chap 35 eligibility- that stops at age 26 for them, but if they have military service the age is credited and extended with all years of that military service.

• HadIt.com Elder

I've reviewed the payment rules for Chapter 35 and monthly payment is based on your "training time" - full-time, three quarter time, half time. When you train less than half-time you'll be paid tuition and fees. But if tuition and fees amount tomore than you would be paid at the half time rate (or the quarter time rate if you are training at quarter time or less) your payments will be limited to the 1/2 time (or quarter time rate). So, at full or three quarter time you get the full amount, at that attendance level, from that pay schedule.

Berta, you are or must have been attending at less than half time, if they only reimbursed tuition and fees?

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

I am full time college student-

They take the amount of tuition I paid-

divide it by the length of the course and base the amount on that in the monthly checks-(but they end up using a "daily" rate)and there is a limit- 800? dont know.

I say this yet I keep forgetting my delimiting date ran out-

my present claim can correct that-

For example-

Course Tactical manuver warfare-(war games) cost me $750.00 (tuition only)

Marines gave me book grant and Marine Gazzete subscription -it is part of course work-

I took the accelerated version -8 weeks of Hell with the USMC-

The VA sent me close to $ 375 for 2 months.

Another Course

Military Leadership- 12 weeks of Hell-(USMC)

I paid 750.00 and got 3 checks of about 250 each-

again it is based on a daily rate- not an actual monthly rate-

they send you the info on how they determine the rate-

Present course $750 and $250 Lab-if I win my presnt claim they have to take 17 weeks of Hell ( US Air Force -Meteorology) and divide that by the days in 17 weeks and send me maybe 4-5 checks but sometimes the checks come all at once.

Dont get me wrong- I love every minute of all this misery.

I am an Honor Student at AMU.

A Chap 35er has to realise that they need to spend the money to make sure their PC is fully upgraded if they are attending college on line- Also every semester I have a big bill at Office Depot for floppys, paper,

ink, etc etc-- most of which I use for school.

Also I upgraded from dial up to sattelite dish- 800 bucks for the dish and 60 bucks a month for the sattelite access- all done for on line school-

Voc Rehab was different for Rod-it seemed VA paid for a lot he needed and of course the stipend check came too-

he had problems with the car transmission and mentioned it to his Voc Rehab person and they said they could even give him a loan to fix the car as he needed it to get to school-no on line schools in those days-

I dont remember him getting a VA loan for that but maybe they still offer loans like that under Voc Rehab.

Chapter 35 ers do Not get a stipend.

They get a reimbursement of tuition-I dont know what the limit is that they will pay-the reimbursement amount went up-I believe- it is at the VA Education icon at the VA web site.

-

• HadIt.com Elder
I am full time college student-

They take the amount of tuition I paid-

divide it by the length of the course and base the amount on that in the monthly checks-(but they end up using a "daily" rate)and there is a limit- 800? dont know.

I say this yet I keep forgetting my delimiting date ran out-

my present claim can correct that-

For example-

Course Tactical manuver warfare-(war games) cost me $750.00 (tuition only)

Marines gave me book grant and Marine Gazzete subscription -it is part of course work-

I took the accelerated version -8 weeks of Hell with the USMC-

The VA sent me close to $ 375 for 2 months.

Another Course

Military Leadership- 12 weeks of Hell-(USMC)

I paid 750.00 and got 3 checks of about 250 each-

again it is based on a daily rate- not an actual monthly rate-

they send you the info on how they determine the rate-

Present course $750 and $250 Lab-if I win my presnt claim they have to take 17 weeks of Hell ( US Air Force -Meteorology) and divide that by the days in 17 weeks and send me maybe 4-5 checks but sometimes the checks come all at once.

Dont get me wrong- I love every minute of all this misery.

I am an Honor Student at AMU.

A Chap 35er has to realise that they need to spend the money to make sure their PC is fully upgraded if they are attending college on line- Also every semester I have a big bill at Office Depot for floppys, paper,

ink, etc etc-- most of which I use for school.

Also I upgraded from dial up to sattelite dish- 800 bucks for the dish and 60 bucks a month for the sattelite access- all done for on line school-

Voc Rehab was different for Rod-it seemed VA paid for a lot he needed and of course the stipend check came too-

he had problems with the car transmission and mentioned it to his Voc Rehab person and they said they could even give him a loan to fix the car as he needed it to get to school-no on line schools in those days-

I dont remember him getting a VA loan for that but maybe they still offer loans like that under Voc Rehab.

Chapter 35 ers do Not get a stipend.

They get a reimbursement of tuition-I dont know what the limit is that they will pay-the reimbursement amount went up-I believe- it is at the VA Education icon at the VA web site.

-

How many credits per semester are you taking? I think it has to be 12, or more, to be considered full-time. Sounds like they are doing something wrong and could owe you some money. Unless, you are getting DIC and then there might be something where you can't get both but then I would think they would need to reimburse you travel expenses.

pr