Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reimbursements for missed work?

Rate this question

gotohpdirbt

Question

Does the VA reimburse for missed work while attending MDE appointments? I know Optum Serve reimburses for mileage, but the person I talked to while scheduling several appointments did not have an answer for my question. For someone who has to travel 150-200 miles for several appointments I am going to have to miss several days and its just a question I haven't seen answered yet. If you have some knowledge on this, please drop the bomb on me. Thanks.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

No, unless you work for the VA (or possibly other fed agencies). If you are a new employee and are listed as a disabled vet you get 104 hrs chargeable to your leave account for 'free' (you don't earn them based on how long you work) that you can use for VA or private appts that are because of something related to your SC conditions. Its use it or lose it, though- you only get it for the first year you work. On your anniversary whatever is left falls off. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

5 hours ago, gotohpdirbt said:

Does the VA reimburse for missed work while attending MDE appointments? I know Optum Serve reimburses for mileage, but the person I talked to while scheduling several appointments did not have an answer for my question. For someone who has to travel 150-200 miles for several appointments I am going to have to miss several days and its just a question I haven't seen answered yet. If you have some knowledge on this, please drop the bomb on me. Thanks

NO, time scheduled away from work has always been considered as leave. Even if you do not have any leave built up, it would be considered as LWOP (Leave Without Pay). 

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

In a round about way, you can get compensated, sort of.  

Here is what I mean.  Many Veterans miss work for one or more doctor's appointments for SC conditions.  

And, this can lead to the Veteran being fired. (for missing too much work).  

This can begin a process where you get tdiu, for being unable to work, because, many employers who want full time employees, wont/cant keep you if you miss 2 days a week because of your doctors appointments for SC conditions.  

I have seen Vets use such above evidence to get awarded tdiu, especially when its documented.  

Vets compensation is payment for "the earnings capacity you lost" due to sc conditions.  Well, if you lost your job to frequent doc appointments for sc conditions, then that fact can be used to document your tdiu.  

Another example is migraines.  They are often rated based on "how many times" per week/month etc that you are "prostrated" due to migraines.  If these are service connected they often ask how many times you are prostrated. (This means your migraines are so severe that they put you in bed, sometimes for days).  

My wife has these migraines which put her in bed (mostly all day, except to get up to go to the bathroom) sometimes for 2 or 3 days, on average of about once per month.  During one of her migraines, she doesnt work, she rarely eats, (it comes back up), and often gets dehydrated and needs to go to ER.  

I know they are real "prostrating" headaches, because, "she even declines" to see her grandchildren during a migraine, and she wont decline to see her grandchildren for any reason ever..but she cant handle anything during a migraine.  

Fortunately, I dont get migraines, I give them. (lol). 

At least for some people, I can attest that migraines can easily lead to unemployability.  And, the VA rating system takes into account the frequency and length of migraines, when rating you.   

In the above way, you can get compensated for "doctor appointments", but not on an individual basis, but rather in a bigger picture when you lose work.  If that makes sense.  

• Community Owner
4 hours ago, broncovet said:

Vets compensation is payment for "the earnings capacity you lost" due to sc conditions. 

broncovet

Your statement above is where most veterans get confused about VA compensation. (It's a good defamation of VA Compensation.) 

Hears what I mean most people think that VA compensation as Workers Comp for your service to the branch of service you were in. In reality it is much different. To get payed for you injury (Workers Comp) most Workers Comp pays you based on a pre set schudgle of you injured body part. Ie they determined that you injured your knee. Workers Comp pays say $5000 for your injured knee. If the knee keeps you from working in some states pay you a percentage of your whole body.

The VA is much different. As you stated the VA pays you for, "the earnings capacity you lost due to sc conditions." this tends to be much higher than Workers Comp and it pays for the rest of your life unlike Workers Comp.

I cant remember if it was you or brokensoldier244th who posted a real good breakdown on how to subtract your % of disability from 100% to get your total body.

To add:

If you think you lost a half day (full day, multiple days, etc) and VA is gonna pay you individually for that loss of days work, the answer is no.  

But, As I explained, above, if your sc conditions limit the amount of work you can do because of frequent doc  appoinmtments, that could well be figured into your overall disability percentage.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Federal workers compensation will pay you up to 70% of your lost wages.  They also pay for injuries to certain body parts.  I got what they call a schedule award for my feet, wrist and my shoulder from WC.  I got about 30K for my ruined shoulder and about 20K and 15K for the rest. I also got a monthly check for 70% of lost wages while I was out of work.  I changed over to VA compensation because I had to choose between them.  VA compensation is usually better than WC because the WC people are always trying to get you back to work.