Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Receiving VA Disability @ 70 percent service connected & offset in Social Security at 62

Rate this question

David Ret Vet

Question

I am was at at 50 percent and it was increased to 70% (approx $1,600 per month) several months ago since some 2 years of surgery.  I am not sure but if I retire at age 62 does my VA Compensation get reduced by the amount of what normal retirement at age 62 (approx $1,800 per month)?   Does it also ever go away like at age 67?

Thanks

• Greeter

No it doesn’t. They talk about ending tdiu but it never passes 

I thought he was talking about social security but if it’s military retirement that’s a different story

Edited by Dot09

Can You Receive VA Disability and Military Retirement Pay at the Same Time?

Posted by The Rep for Vets

Wondering if it’s possible to receive VA disability and military retirement pay without sacrificing one for the other? The answer is yes, it is possible, but only under certain conditions.

Retired veterans who have a disability rating of 50% or higher, or qualify for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), are eligible to receive both benefits in full.

Veterans who have a disability rating lower than 50% will have their retirement pay reduced by the amount of their VA compensation, dollar for dollar, unless they qualify for CRSC.

18 hours ago, David Ret Vet said:

I am was at at 50 percent and it was increased to 70% (approx $1,600 per month) several months ago since some 2 years of surgery.  I am not sure but if I retire at age 62 does my VA Compensation get reduced by the amount of what normal retirement at age 62 (approx $1,800 per month)?   Does it also ever go away like at age 67?

Thanks

You should appeal the 50% VA rating and file for SSDI because when you win, you'll get the full SS rate.  Even if you received early SS retirement earlier and took it, you can file for SSDI retro, if you can show earlier disability.  Also, in my opinion you should never accept an increase without appealing that VA decision.  You, as the claimant, are always seeking the highest award (100%).  I assisted a vet who had been denied for over the max allowed 50% rating, for a skin condition, over a 13yr period, who had had the help of 2 congressmen & a senator.  We filed a CUE to the central office and won, 3+yrs retro.  He chose not to appeal.  I felt we could have won but it was his choice.

• Community Owner

David welcome to hadit. To answer you question SSI or SSDI has no effect on you or VA compensation. 

Military retirement pay, National Gard Pay, and any Reserve Pay will.

3 hours ago, Rattler said:

David welcome to hadit. To answer you question SSI or SSDI has no effect on you or VA compensation. 

Military retirement pay, National Gard Pay, and any Reserve Pay will.

A lot of veterans get both VA Disability benefits and SSDI. The Way it was explained to me is that VA benefits are for veteran's service-connected disability symptoms and SSDI is because the veteran paid into the SSA benefits system.

The difference is most Veterans that are rated 50% or higher (there is a dollar amount limit) would not qualify for SSI because SSI is for low income-based recipients. Basically, SSI is like pension, but SSDI is for retirement. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Yeah I recieve both when filing ssdi dont give up they always deny and deny they aren’t you have a hearing in front of a judge depending on your case that will be if your award is granted along with retro owed. My SSDI claim took me 11.5 months with help if congressional inquiry when I reached out to my states senators office. Never stop fighting for yourself cuz no one else will… on another note SSDI is based on your past work history as well

Edited by jfrei