Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Exercising before an x-ray, good or bad idea?

Rate this question

Lincoln6echo

Question

I suffered a broken pelvis from a parachuting operation back in the 90's. I've been rated 10% for about 20 years.  My pain has increased an incredible amount over the past year.  Many veterans are telling me to file a claim for an increase and giving me pointers to help my case. One being that the night before I get x-rayed,  they said to jog or run for as much as I can tolerate and that will make my arthritis show up better on an x-ray?  anybody know if this is true?

Thanks all!

Airborne! 

Edited by Lincoln6echo
spelling errors.

Welcome to Hadit.com

The real question is does arthritis show up on x-rays? Unless there is some type of bone loss, I am not sure if the x-ray is done with some type of radiation chemical.  Don't go out and hurt yourself. Just make sure whenever you have flare ups you contact your doctor or be seen and treated by your doctor so he/she can note your increased symptoms in your progress reports/treatment notes. 

If you have not already filed a claim for depression, file a claim for depression secondary to your service-connected pelvis disability to increase your combined overall rating.

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Greeter

I don’t think exercise will show up however it could change your range of motion? I don’t think there is rom of the pelvis. Don’t go out and hurt yourself. I recommend that you document your symptoms and their severity. Try to describe your worst day of flare up and tell the dr. Personally intentionally hurting your self kind of borderlines fraud. Who ever told you to do that stop taking their advice. I mean no disrespect by my comments and wish you the best of luck. 

P.S. do you struggle with anything else physically or mentally?

I can not recommend exercising to make your symptoms look worse.  Its a bad idea.  

While arthritis "which shows up on xray" is a significant symptom, my unsubstantiated opinion is that exercise would "tear down muscles" but not bones.  Bones are visible on xrays, tissue such as muscles are not.  

I had a knee problem "where a chuck of bone" broke off and was floating around in the joint causing pain.  I eventually got a knee replacement.  

As already pointed out, you could hurt yourself if you over do it with arthritis.  

Worse, if you do get SC'd based on this xray, later on down the road if you are xrayed again and it shows "actual improvement" you could be subject to a reduction.  

Never exaggerate your symptoms, but do tell the doc your symptoms on your worst day.  For example, the day of your exam, you feel fine.  

When the doc asks "how are you?" dont use the proverbial "fine".  Instead, tell the doc how you felt on Saturday (your worst day).  Never lie about getting benefits.  

Instead of saying "fine", say, "better today,   On Saturday, the pain was so bad I could not attend my son's baseball game."  Use your examples, not mine.  

• Greeter

I suggest the op of the thread edit the first post and change the title. Some might take offense to the title as it could look like fraud. Just my suggestion. Changing it may make others want to offer advice

Edited by Dot09

• Founder

This does NOT sound like a good idea.

Not for your physical health and Not from a legal perspective.

My point is that it would be seen as fraud. The same as a veteran who pulls up to the VA for their c&p exam hops out of their car, pops open their truck grabs a wheelchair, and then goes to the exam and says they can hardly move without the chair. This has happened and the c and p doc saw the veteran in the parking lot. It's best to assume your c&p exam begins the moment you enter VA property.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.