Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

VA Legal Precedents

• Founder

Veterans affairs law is a complex field, shaped by a number of important legal precedents that directly affect how veterans access benefits and how claims are adjudicated. Here's an overview of some key cases, legal arguments, and the potential consequences of misinterpreting these precedents.

KEY LEGAL PRECEDENTS

1. Gardner v. Brown (1994)
  2. What it’s about: In this case, a veteran was injured while receiving medical treatment at a VA facility. The question was whether the injury qualified for compensation under 38 U.S.C. § 1151 even though it wasn’t caused by negligence or malpractice.
  3. The veteran’s argument: The veteran claimed that the law allowed compensation for any injury that occurred due to VA treatment, without needing to prove the VA was at fault.
  4. The VA’s argument: The VA argued that compensation should only apply to injuries caused by malpractice or negligence.
  5. Outcome: The Supreme Court sided with the veteran, ruling that any injury resulting from VA care, whether or not malpractice was involved, could qualify for compensation.
  6. Why it matters: This ruling opened up compensation for many veterans who suffered injuries during VA medical care without forcing them to prove negligence. It made the process much easier for veterans to get the benefits they deserve.
  7. Gilbert v. Derwinski (1990)
  8. What it’s about: This case established the "benefit of the doubt"rule for VA claims, which means that if the evidence is evenly balanced, the decision should go in the veteran’s favor.
  9. The veteran’s argument: The veteran argued that the Board of Veterans' Appeals (BVA) wrongly denied his claim despite not having enough evidence to do so.
  10. Outcome: The Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims ruled that if the evidence is equally balanced—meaning there’s no clear winner—the veteran gets the benefit of the doubt, and the claim should be granted.
  11. Why it matters: This decision is huge because it makes it much easier for veterans to win claims when the evidence is unclear or conflicting. Veterans shouldn’t have to lose their claims just because the VA can’t decide—it tips the scales in the veteran’s favor.
  12. Hodge v. West (1998)
  13. What it’s about: This case dealt with what counts as "new and material evidence" when a veteran wants to reopen a previously denied claim.
  14. The veteran’s argument: The veteran argued that the VA’s definition of “new and material evidence” was too strict, making it hard for veterans to reopen claims.
  15. Outcome: The court agreed, ruling that the standard was too restrictive and that the term “new and material evidence” should be interpreted more liberally.
  16. Why it matters: This decision made it easier for veterans to reopen old claims by lowering the threshold for what qualifies as new evidence. It gave veterans another shot at receiving benefits for previously denied claims.
  17. Barry v. McDonough (2022)
  18. What it’s about: This case addressed Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) benefits, particularly for veterans who need aid and attendance because of multiple disabilities.
  19. The veteran’s argument: The veteran argued that his various service-connected disabilities, even though they weren’t caused by the same condition, should still qualify him for a higher level of SMC under 38 U.S.C. § 1114.
  20. Outcome: The court agreed, ruling that veterans with multiple severe disabilities that require aid and attendance could qualify for higher levels of SMC, even if their conditions weren’t all related.
  21. Why it matters: This case gave more veterans with multiple severe disabilities the ability to qualify for increased compensation under SMC. It’s especially important for veterans with complex medical conditions who need additional support.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THESE PRECEDENTS ARE MISINTERPRETED?

Misinterpreting or overlooking these precedents can have serious consequences for veterans:

1. Denial of Benefits: If a veteran’s claim is denied because the VA uses outdated or incorrect legal standards, they may miss out on the benefits they rightfully deserve. For example, not applying the "benefit of the doubt" rule from Gilbert v. Derwinski could unjustly result in a denied claim when the evidence is evenly balanced.
  2. Delays in Receiving Benefits: If the VA misinterprets what qualifies as new and material evidence (Hodge v. West), a veteran’s claim could be stuck in limbo, delaying their access to much-needed benefits. Veterans may lose out on months or even years of retroactive payments.
  3. Under-compensation: Misunderstanding eligibility for increased compensation, such as SMC under Barry v. McDonough, can leave veterans under-compensated. Veterans may not receive the additional compensation they need, particularly those requiring aid and attendance for multiple disabilities.
  4. Increased Burden on Veterans: Misinterpreting cases like Gardner v. Brown can place an unnecessary burden on veterans, requiring them to prove negligence or malpractice when they shouldn’t have to. This makes it harder for veterans to get compensation for injuries sustained during VA care.

FINAL THOUGHTS

These legal precedents—Gardner v. Brown, Gilbert v. Derwinski, Hodge v. West, and Barry v. McDonough—have helped shape a more veteran-friendly VA claims process. However, if these rulings aren’t applied correctly, veterans can face delays, denials, and under-compensation. It’s critical for veterans to know about these cases and understand how they impact their claims so they can advocate for themselves and ensure they receive the benefits they’re entitled to.

Staying informed about changes in veterans' law and seeking legal help when necessary is essential to avoid the potential pitfalls of misinterpreted legal precedents.

These links should provide easy access to more detailed information on the "benefit of the doubt," "new and material evidence," and other key concepts.

Top 12 Precedent Cases in Veterans Affairs Law

These are some of the most significant legal decisions that have shaped veterans' law. Understanding these cases can help veterans and their advocates navigate the claims process more effectively.

1. Gardner v. Brown (1994)

• Expanded veterans' rights to compensation for injuries sustained during VA medical care, even when negligence isn’t involved.
  2. Gilbert v. Derwinski (1990)

• Established the "benefit of the doubt" rule, ensuring veterans win their claims if the evidence is equally balanced.
  3. Hodge v. West (1998)

• Clarified what constitutes "new and material evidence" when reopening previously denied claims, making it easier for veterans to revisit old claims.
  4. Barry v. McDonough (2022)

• Expanded eligibility for increased Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) for veterans with multiple severe disabilities requiring aid and attendance.
  5. Brown v. Gardner (1994)

• Another important case involving 38 U.S.C. § 1151 reinforces that VA compensation is available for injuries caused by VA treatment even in the absence of negligence.
  6. Euzebio v. McDonough (2021)

• Established that the VA must obtain all relevant medical evidence that could reasonably impact a veteran's claim decision.
  7. Dixon v. Derwinski (1991)

• Strengthened veterans' rights to challenge VA decisions by emphasizing the importance of a clear explanation for claim denials, promoting fairness.
  8. Cuevas v. Principi (2002)

• Highlighted that medical records lost while in the VA’s possession should not penalize the veteran and that the benefit of the doubt applies when records are missing.
  9. Caluza v. Brown (1995)

• Set the three basic elements needed for a veteran's disability claim to be granted: a current disability, evidence of in-service incurrence or aggravation, and a nexus between the in-service event and the current disability.
  10. Shedden v. Principi (2004)

• Expanded on the Caluza ruling, reinforcing the need for proof of a current disability and its connection to the veteran’s service.

1. Roberson v. Principi (2001)
  • Strengthened the duty of the VA to assist veterans in developing claims for Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability (TDIU), even when the veteran hasn’t explicitly claimed it.

1. Stegall v. West (1998)
  • Emphasized the VA's obligation to follow remand orders from the Board of Veterans' Appeals (BVA) and correct any failure to properly execute instructions from the courts.

View full record

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• kidva earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • dennis simpson earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • Dave119 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • ShrekTheTank went up a rank
      Contributor
    • kidva went up a rank
      Rookie
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use