VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dav, Good Or Bad?

Rate this question

abean

Question

Don't know much about the organization. All I know is that they seem to know more about my husbands claim than me, hubby, and VA. We really don't know how they got our info. Are they legit? Is it an edge to use them?

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Abean

You know a hospital stay can be seen as an informal claim for benefits or an increase. It can be used as an effective date for an increase or a claim, but you have to claim it.

Abean

You know a hospital stay can be seen as an informal claim for benefits or an increase. It can be used as an effective date for an increase or a claim, but you have to claim it.

Ahhhh...did not know this. When we started the claim in July of this year, we initially received a letter saying that if we didn't send new evidence in that the denied claim from August of 2006 stood. We had no knowledge of this claim. We sent mounds of new records in, plus pretty much everything from his SSDI claim he won, but according to the DAV rep, the VA is in the process of denying it saying the records are not new or material....go figure.

I've had the DAV represent me since 2004. With their help, I've gone from 70% to just over 90%. The climb/fight still exists, and yes, I agree you are your own best advocate, but it never hurts to have someone on the 'inside' with visibility of the VA systems that can provide status. As long as your VSO is at the VARO (can't speak as to if VSOs outside the building have access to their systems), you can get better data than you can see on eBenefits. All in all, I've been grateful for their help. She's even been able to file claims I didn't know existed, and are now service connected. She’s getting busier, though and it’s more and more difficult to get her to respond. As long as your patiently impatient with your rep, you’ll have better SA on your file, claims, etc.

To me, the VA/DAV connection seems a little "to" cozy for me. Yes they are the biggest org. But they also have a a HUGE budget also. You should see thier regional office here in Phoenix. They redecorated it. Looks nice, staff are well paid, ect. but that does not help a claim...

Edited by ranger11bv

I tend to agree with Ranger. Remember the DAV gets "free rent" in many/most VAMC's and RO's. Have you ever heard of "there is no such thing as free rent"? Well, in my opinion the VA "gets" something for their free rent. Example: With the DAV constantly in Regional offices, why is it they "did not know" about the illegal shredding of Veterans evidence, until Larry Scott broke the Story in October 2008? Were they all that blind or incompetent? I doubt it. They just sort of "looked the other way" while the regional office "paid their rent". The DAV and VA are WAY WAY too cozy to suit me.

That being said, you do need a VSO for some things. Tho the DAV may be some help, dont expect them to create any waves at the VA in order to help you. They wont.

They just keep their mouth shut, collect their paycheck and their free rent. Many of them are too busy or too overworked to be any real help. They are also not consistently well trained. You may well find a good DAV rep, but he is probably going to be so busy he will be of little use to you.

While Im sure there are many good intentioned, hard working DAV reps, the trouble is, they are not consistent. Its a crap shoot, so you better be careful or your benefits will get shot down.

The DAV got on my bad side, when they spoke out AGAINST Vets getting lawyers about a couple years ago. They contend Vets dont need lawyers, they got DAV reps. Well, boneheads, if the DAV was doing such a great job, why are their so many homeless Vets trying to sue the VA because their DAV rep couldnt or wouldnt get them benefits? And why is the DAV threatened by a Vet with a lawyer? Why should the DAV be upset that a Vet hires a pro to obtain his benefits?

No, I did/do smell a rat pushing the DAV into arguing against lawyers for Vets. Vets fought so that others accused of a crime are entitled to legal representation, so why do Vets deserve less?

Remember, no one is suggesting a Vet be FORCED to hire a lawyer..only that he has the option of hiring one if the Vet thinks it will benefit him. This Vet is in charge of feeding his family, and by golly if he thinks hiring a lawyer will improve his chances of obtaining benefits, who in the heck is the DAV to try to stop him?

Edited by broncovet